Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2017 Challenge: The Story of Golthra and Iriana

Mouse, I have looked at this map 5 different times, and studied every inch of it, and I'm still trying to locate the 'color disaster'. I can understand if you just don't like what you are seeing... but what I am seeing is absolutely beautiful. I love the color blend you have done between the green and the tan/yellow. It makes me think of a lush, green landscape leeching out to into a barren land. And I think the way one bleeds into the other is stunning!

I can understand the issue of not being able to move the mountain, but I know you will figure it out
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Thanks Storm

I'm not usually so 'into' bright green. I guess it's making me a bit nervous. A green that is too bright can ruin an entire map, no matter how well its been drawn.

Maybe this is the month I overcome that fear

Blending one colour into another can be done in CC3. It just takes a bit longer to achieve the effect, since what I've done between the dark and light green grass, and then the gold grass, amounts to several sheets for each colour in CC3 - each with a different edge fade inner, and overlapping extents with the polygons on each sheet.

right... it's very similar to what I did for that massive desert in the Alenhold commission. In fact, that's EXACTLY what I did to achieve that massive desert! lol
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I knew you would recognise the description. Its the old 'soft edge AND hard edge' on the one extent solution.

I might be doing more GIMP maps than a CC3 maps these days, but everything I've done so far in GIMP is very strongly influenced by the techniques I learned in CC3, if not identical

Being only a novice at drawing mountain ranges the PS/GIMP way, I decided to do it the painter's way (sketch shadows and highlights, then add the details later), instead of what seems to be the conventional digital mapping way (detailed lines, then shading and highlights), so this is going to look more like painting than a map right now - but at least I've made a start on the mountains

### Latest WIP ###
    Golthra and Iriana 16.jpg

They look a lot like mountains to me. I like the shading! Go Mouse Go!!!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks beautiful, be careful or you'll have to drag around as many compasses as Diamond
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank you Storm and Tilt

I'm a little anxious the mountains may turn out to be too 'painterly' to qualify as a proper map in the 'eye of the voter', and when I look at all the other entries mine looks a bit toooo un-maplike - even for me!

Besides, I'm rooting for one or the other of you to get your first bling sometime soon

EDIT: the other thing is that I haven't even begun to work out how to do the forests, so I may not finish on time anyway

This map just keeps getting better and better, I can't wait for the final result.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

And it’ a good start ! I guess the « artist » way is just as good as the « digital way » and why should it be different ?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast