Thread: Topography: How to do global erosion in wilbur

Question Topography: How to do global erosion in wilbur

I'm working on a global world building project of a tidally locked world. Here's my approach: I make fractally generated heightmaps using a tool called VP planet generator (VPPG). This creates heightmaps of arbitrary detail for the whole planet.
    Next, I want to erode them using Wilbur. From my understanding, Wilbur makes realistic terrain at a resolutio. Of about 10-100m per pixel. So for an area of 100x100km a raster image of at least 1000x1000px is needed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The planet is only partially surveyed due to the tidal locking, about a about from 10-30° north. That's still about 150 million square km. At a a practical max resolution of 5000x5000 PX that about 592 individual roles of 500 km˛. Of course, not all of these will need to be mapped, but a lot of them will.
    I guess the question I have is this: how can I have global, realistically eroded terrain? If a country map map is too large to erode everything at once, how do I split it into multiple tiles and have them match up when put next to each other?

Thanks for any input. Maybe I'm thinking about this way to co plicated.

I can't imagine that a tidally locked world would experience much in the way of weather-based erosion. With no rotation (or a long term resonant rotation), the factors that create wind and ocean currents along with temperature and pressure changes, and thusly, rainfall, pretty much don't exist, unless, of course, some artificial means (i.e. magic or some ancient "alien" technology) is fueling some form of artificial weather patterns. The surface of our moon or Mercury, for instance, probably haven't changed much over millions of years other than from "small" meteorite impacts.

As far as what Wilbur can do, some of that will depend on what version you are using and what your computer's CPU and memory can handle. If waldronate happens by this post, he can explain it far better than I can.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thanks for the reply. I have a different understanding of tidally locked planets. The excellent world building pasta (https://worldbuildingpasta.blogspot.com/?m=1) has a very in-depth guide and suggests that tidally locked planets are much more viable than commonly assumed.

Fair enough. But now my curiosity is piqued so I will have to do some more reading on this.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges