Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Glad you managed to get it work! I had some difficulties myself!
    Maybe you could try to expand the intermediate rain zone a bit and reduce the heavy rain zone; and yes, i think too the super dry is just a bit too big.
    Anyway, good work!

Hey everyone! Having a bit of trouble determining where to place my high and low pressure centers!
    Also, any help on if my currents are correct would be wonderful.

The vague white lines are my lattitude markers, and represent 60N at the top, 30N beneath it, 0 beneath it, and 30S at the bottom.

Thanks in advance!

Link to map: https://imgur.com/a/YbvUBXw

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Viranna Ocean Currents.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	124407

Hi Osellic! It could be useful to have the full world map; are the other parts just ocean? Also the poles? If the top of the image is 90N, remember that that line is a point in reality, so you'll have to stretch the ice covering all the upper side.
    The currents seems fine to me, i would have skipped the current in the inner sea, i think it's just too narrow to have a significant current; and the first part of the downward current in the west coast should be a cold current (cold respect the surrounding ocean); Also, the upward hot current in the east coast should gently deviate eastward past 30N rather than turn abruptly, but that's a minor.

I had some questions about the precipitation transition zone regions that I was hoping someone could help with, specifically the bits down below:

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    3· Equatorward west of H is dry
    4· Equatorward west side tend to be dry in winter...
    5· The west and poleward sides of H are wet...
    It seems like 3 and 5 are contradictory- or does it mean that dead west of the high-pressure zones is wet, while only the equator-west "diagonal" area is dry? And regarding number 4, what is that referring to? I thought it might mean continents, but on both the January and July maps it appears to the west of high pressure zones (#1), which contradicts 5.

Default Updated script for GIMP

I ended up messing around with writing a GIMP plug-in in Python and updated my old climate script. The new version is largely adopted from Azure's script and works in a similar fashion: the plug-in processes the source maps on a pixel-by-pixel basis. Since this one uses many of GIMP's in-built functions, it's not as efficient as Azure's script, and the processing time is quite long. On the other hand, it now has a nice progress bar that shows how far along the script is from completing. While this is a GIMP plug-in, I'm not 100% sure that it works without installing Python. Anyway, here are the instructions:

Installation:
    Place the plug-in in the appropriate folder (usually /Program Files/GIMP 2/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins). If uncertain, you can check Edit->Preferences->Folders->Plug-ins to see where the plug-ins are stored. Once in the right folder, the plug-in should be available (you can use Filters->Script-Fu->Refresh Scripts so you don't have to restart GIMP). You should now have the script available under the Image tab:

Name:	Activation.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	124834

Restrictions for using the script:
    - This has been written for and tested in GIMP 2.10
    - The image needs to be RGBA (RGB with an Alpha channel) with 8-bit Integer precision

Layer naming restrictions:
    The temperature/precipitation layers need to have exactly the following names (the script searches for them by name):

JanTemp
    JulTemp
    JanPrec
    JulPrec

Layer colouring restrictions:
    The temperature and precipitation categories need to have exactly the following colours (with the ocean tiles coloured in a separate colour, not transparent as in prior versions of the script):

Temperature zones:

Temp Category R G B
    Severely Hot 160 0 65
    Very Hot 210 60 80
    Hot 245 110 65
    Warm 250 175 95
    Mild 255 225 140
    Cool 230 245 150
    Cold 170 220 165
    Very Cold 100 195 165
    Severely Cold 50 135 190
    Deadly Cold 95 80 160

The temperature zones in a slider:

Name:	TempSlider.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	253 Bytes 
ID:	124841

Precipitation zones:

Prec Category R G B
    200+ mm 210 200 250
    100-200 mm 190 170 240
    50-100 mm 150 130 220
    25-50 mm 90 80 160
    10-25 mm 240 235 160
    0-10 mm 235 0 140

The precipitation zones in a slider:

Name:	PrecSliderAzel.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	225 Bytes 
ID:	124842

Ocean tiles:

R G B
    155 205 230

Sample Map:
    Here is a sample climate map using source maps generated from WorldClim's 1970-2000 dataset:

Source maps:

Name:	JanPrec.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	330.7 KB 
ID:	124835

Name:	JulPrec.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	124836

Name:	JanTemp.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	124837

Name:	JulTemp.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	376.3 KB 
ID:	124838

Generated climates:

Name:	GenClimates.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	468.5 KB 
ID:	124839

The plug-in can be found in the attachments. Feel free to provide any feedback if you have trouble using it. Note that the new script has been set up not to generate any Cc climates, and uses a gradual aridity threshold (unlike the previous versions, which used a stepped threshold as in most publications of Köppen maps).

Update (28/10/20):
    - Now supports off-colour pixels (they are assumed to have 0 °C temperature and 1,0 mm precipitation)
    - Fixed a bug where the script could paint the ocean in the wrong colour if opacity was set at less than 100%

Big thanks to Coggleton for reporting the issues with the script, this update should solve the problems related to off-colour pixels.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Charerg; 08-01-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post

Restrictions for using the script:
    - This has been written for and tested in GIMP 2.10
    - The image needs to be RGBA (RGB with an Alpha channel) with 8-bit Integer precision
    ---
    The temperature and precipitation categories need to have exactly the following colours (with the ocean tiles coloured in a separate colour, not transparent as in prior versions of the script):
    Thanks - this looks like it will be quite helpful for me! One question- you mention the various colors need exact RGB values. What about the L,C, and h values? I'm not too familiar with GIMP and other color values besides RGB, so this might just be my ignorance showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coggleton View Post
    Thanks - this looks like it will be quite helpful for me! One question- you mention the various colors need exact RGB values. What about the L,C, and h values? I'm not too familiar with GIMP and other color values besides RGB, so this might just be my ignorance showing.
    LCH (and HSV) are only alternative ways of defining a colour. If you change the Hue or Saturation for example, the program adjusts RGB values accordingly.

Feel free to provide any feedback if you have trouble using it. Note that the new script has been set up not to generate any Cc climates, and uses a gradual aridity threshold (unlike the previous versions, which used a stepped threshold as in most publications of Köppen maps).
    First of all, THANK YOU for making this! This is exactly what I was hoping someone would develop. Second of all, I'm well versed in Photoshop, but never used GIMP before, and I'm having problems with some of the basics of your instructions, which I feel like must have been a continuing and evolving conversation spread over these 50-something pages. Is there a post I can search for that might help with the basics? Such as: How to make sure my image is RGBA? (I added an Alpha Channel, but I'm not sure if that's what does it?) What kind of image should my source be? Black continent with white water? Land on a separate layer? When you say the layers have to be specific colors do you mean a layer that's completely filled with that RGB? I was able to run the script, but it was looking for layers that weren't there. I feel like I'm close, but missing something fundamental. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Foreman View Post
    First of all, THANK YOU for making this! This is exactly what I was hoping someone would develop. Second of all, I'm well versed in Photoshop, but never used GIMP before, and I'm having problems with some of the basics of your instructions, which I feel like must have been a continuing and evolving conversation spread over these 50-something pages. Is there a post I can search for that might help with the basics? Such as: How to make sure my image is RGBA? (I added an Alpha Channel, but I'm not sure if that's what does it?) What kind of image should my source be? Black continent with white water? Land on a separate layer? When you say the layers have to be specific colors do you mean a layer that's completely filled with that RGB? I was able to run the script, but it was looking for layers that weren't there. I feel like I'm close, but missing something fundamental. Thanks for any help you can provide!
    If all of the source layers (JanTemp, JanPrec, JulTemp and JulPrec) have an alpha channel, you should be good to go. You can see if a layer has an alpha channel by looking at the layers tab, layers without an alpha channel have their names bolded:

Name:	alpha_vs_non-alpha.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	124873

To see how the source maps should look like, take a look at the "sample map" section of the instructions in my prior post. You can also test the script using the source maps provided in that section: all you need are those four layers and you should be able to activate the script succesfully and produce the climate map.

To see how the source maps should look like, take a look at the "sample map" section of the instructions in my prior post.
    Ah, maybe I'm misunderstanding what this plugin is actually meant to be accomplishing. I thought it would take a fictional world map I've made and determine Koppen climate zones. But based on the WorldClim's 1970-2000 dataset inputs you've got there, I'm guessing the colors are driving the data for your plugin? And I don't know how to generate those colors on my fictional planet except by vague, under-educated guesses. Do you know of any resources to help me with that part that must come before using your plugin?

Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast