Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: September 2008 Entry: Archean League

Wip Fixed the blocky woods...

Due to Del's sharp eyes, noticing the blocky woods by Faraday. I decided to recreate it by hand and re-upload it here.

Hopefully this is the last version, with maybe a bump or two before the month is over. I think I'm really done this time...

Good luck to everyone with entries this month!

GP

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	september-map-final.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	6377
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Bump. Bump.

Looks great now! ... Seems you just reworked the whole little forest there... meshes with the rest of the map... Great job GP ....

No extra's this round?? I'm so used to extra goodies from your challenge entries that your entry almost seems naked without them

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    No extra's this round?? I'm so used to extra goodies from your challenge entries that your entry almost seems naked without them
    I gave this lots of thought. First I came with creating one or more town maps, when I started to calculate populations 3000 to 5000 people per town or 650 to 1150 buildings each. Too many to draw by hand, at least for this challenge. So I nixed the town map idea.

Instead, I decided I'm going to create an illustrated Gazeteer of the region, discussing history, founding of each town, its current leaders and political undercurrents, and possible threats from surrounding regions.

I plan to use parchment background and scripted style fonts, with some pencil illustrations accompanying each page.

Thoughts?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Yeah.. hand drawn cities that large would require some effort on someone that's human. But you're a machine, you could pump out three a day at least

The gazetteer idea is spot on though. Definitely unique in an entry as *extra credit* an infamous/famous section... Maybe a most wanted picture, give a little more information about points on the map... I like it.. Creative, Original and Inventive.

Oh... point out some adventure ideas too, but in *seeking work/seeking help* type ads, ya know.... just a thought

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The Gazetteer sounds like a cool idea GP, look forward to seeing it. I'll probably write-up some little history for mine once I finish the map itself.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip As promised!

As promised, bonus material for this month's challenge. I did it last month, and Del twisted my arm, so I'm doing it again.

Using the style I chose for the challenge map, especially the site descriptive text throughout, gave the map a kind of "lived in feel", moreso than other maps I've created - it has some spawned some creative notions...

This time a gazetteer of the Archean Trade League region. A description of region and the six towns of the League, the history of its founding, and a brief on the wilderness places surrounding the mercantile towns.

Since, Del thought I meant "gazette" like some kind of newspaper, I added that into the bonus material, the fourth and last page of this PDF file. It should be a fun read, and helps bring life to the map entry.

I created an 8" x 10" background using the same parchment as the map. Except for titles, the first 3 pages is the compendium, the last more a hand-out to players, if used for a gaming aid.

GP

Note: this for more gaming fun, and cannot be included as part of this month's challenge - bonus material is something I sometimes do, other challengers shouldn't feel they are required to post bonus material. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails archean-gazetteer.pdf  
    DrivethruRPG store

Excellent work, this is a great little game piece... you've out done yourself this month.. or, was that last month? ... Kudo's ...and if I didn't have to spread some more rep around.. I'd have given you some just now.... !!

Man, if they ever were able to produce a catalog entitled "the best work to come out of the cartographer's guild website" I would hazard a guess that the mapper with the highest percentage of it would be GP. Great stuff. The Gazeteer (and the Gazette) are excellent additions to an already good map. GP your output capacity and speed is also nothing short of miraculous.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Man, that Gazeteer kicks so much booty the rest of us won't be able to sit for a while. That part alone is worthy of it's own featurette. Excellent job my man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Dude - tons of effort and talent in this map! I love the whole feel about it! I can't seem to find anything to suggest. Bravo!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast