Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Lite Challenge: The Apothecarian's Roaming Garden

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default October/November 2014 Lite Challenge: The Apothecarian's Roaming Garden

I am really surprised that this challenge hasn't received more interest or entries. It's an interesting challenge idea (if I have understood it properly), and something I've been interested in for a while. I didn't think I'd be able to entry because the non-mapping world is keeping me busy, and I have a prior commitment to finish Larb's commission for the other challenge. That said, I thought I'd help Bogie raise interest in the challenge (or at least give Chick something to compete against), and, y'know, them shiny compasses are beckonin'. Hence, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I'm only able to commit a small amount of time to this challenge, however, so hopefully I'll be able to work fast.

Well, the first thing to point out is that I don't really have a map to post, yet. Below are just some concept sketches I've been working on. This first post was really just to commit myself to the task and explain my idea.

The second thing to point out is that I am not a gamer, and so I might have missed the point of the challenge, a bit. Hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. I've decided to interpret this challenge as: map a dwelling place (ideally a mobile one) that can be used as a base of operations and/or home for adventures/adventurers.

And thus, with plenty of caveats and conditions in place, I present The Apothecarian's Roaming Garden. The idea is inspired by an old story I heard that the art of bonsai began when travelling medicine men wanted to keep the leaves and herbs of their trade fresh, and so travelled with miniature trees. That story is inaccurate in real history, but it is the basis of this map. I have also thrown in elements of travelling salesmen/peddlers, the wagons of the gypsys/Roma and American settlers, and Miyazaki's rendition of Howl's Moving Castle.

The Apothecarian's Roaming Garden is a house/garden/shop that travels a few feet above the ground on a platform of clouds. Those clouds dissipate when the Garden needs to land, and then reappear when it is time to move on. The style I'm going for is Japanese, and maybe orthogonal and/or floorplan(s).

The Garden also includes a couple of secrets: a hidden chamber, some household spirits, and more if I think of any others.

I am looking for suggestions and comments, since, as I said, I might have missed the point.

THW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apothecarian 001.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	68854  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Great idea, you haven't missed the point at all! Looking forward to seeing this!

Thanks Bogie.

Here's the first official update. I've included both a textured and non-textured version, because I'm having a few problems with adding texture, and want to get some feedback.

Up next:
    --floor plans of the two levels of the house
    --(maybe) isometric drawing showing overall house and garden
    --adding labels
    --colours: the current colouring is just a placeholder. Most of the colours will be reasonably similar to what is shown, but I'll be trying out Max's method for adding highlights and shadows. I think this will be one of the most important steps (and time-consuming) to make this map really look good.
    --redo deck planking and roof tiles (those are just placeholders)
    --I've been contemplating using some Japanese clan crests somewhere or other, but haven't yet decided how/where/if I should.

I'd be grateful if anyone can point me towards:
    --a good (free) font for the labels (preferably reminiscent of Japanese/Chinese typography, but I'd be happy with anything that looks suitable)
    --a good PS paintbrush for doing the planking and roof tiles. I'm aiming to make them look like they've been painted, rather than drawn or added digitally.
    --a long paper texture that can replace what I have used (mine is simply an ordinary rectangle stretched to fill the canvas). I'm going for a scroll-like appearance.

Of course, all comments/criticisms/suggestions are welcome, as always.

THW

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Apothecarian 004 w texture.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	68905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apothecarian 004 wo texture.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,016.8 KB 
ID:	68904  

Nobody has any comments? Not even a little one?

THW

It looks good and I might be able to help with the font. Do you need a typical Asian font or a Asian-like font with roman letters ?

That's a cool idea, THW, and I like the drawings so far. I also like your background, even if it is stretched (not very noticeable, even zoomed in), the longer grain sort of reminds me of either wood or rawhide which could make an interesting ground for a map. As for a ps brush, you can actually achieve a surprisingly good result with any standard brushes if you fiddle with a few adjustments to the brush settings... might work for what you need.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks guys. With so little time, and so much to do at the moment, I was getting kind of anxious with this map.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It looks good and I might be able to help with the font. Do you need a typical Asian font or a Asian-like font with roman letters ?
    I don't know much about different types of font, and nor am I very good at labelling on maps. My general idea with this was roman characters, but in a Japanese/manga style. I really like Japanese/Chinese calligraphy, but I am a bit worried it wouldn't be clear and legible enough for easy reading, or suit the style of drawing (I'm aiming at a relatively clean drawn style). Do you know of anything that suits that description?

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That's a cool idea, THW, and I like the drawings so far. I also like your background, even if it is stretched (not very noticeable, even zoomed in), the longer grain sort of reminds me of either wood or rawhide which could make an interesting ground for a map. As for a ps brush, you can actually achieve a surprisingly good result with any standard brushes if you fiddle with a few adjustments to the brush settings... might work for what you need.
    The texture is just a stained paper texture from my brother (no idea about the original source). I think you're right that stretching it doesn't inherently make a bad texture, but I'm not sure it suits the drawing (or, more specifically, the colours on the drawing). Like the font, I'm aiming for clean and sharp (and painterly), and maybe the texture counteracts that a bit.

As for brushes, the method used for the plants around the house employed some of PS default brushes. Still needs work, I think, but I'll take your suggestion and fiddle with options a bit.

THW

here are the fonts. I will give you the zip file as finding them is complicated. When I find how to upload the file properly...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THW.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	753.9 KB 
ID:	68945
    Last edited by Azélor; 11-08-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Sorry about lack of comments earlier. What little time I've had recently has been spent pretty much just working on my own entry for the regular challenge. I try to keep up but I'm not what I once was.

I actually thought at first you had painted it on a board. Which I think is cool because if it had looked bad I would have noticed that right away so good job.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    here are the fonts. I will give you the zip file as finding them is complicated. When I find how to upload the file properly...
    Oh, those fonts look perfect. Thanks a lot. I don't know if it would be easier to send the .zip as a private message, or I could give you my email.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I actually thought at first you had painted it on a board. Which I think is cool because if it had looked bad I would have noticed that right away so good job.
    Thanks Jax. I used to do drawings of Chinese landscapes on wooden panels, and it is a great, but difficult medium. This, however, is much more straightforward.

Latest update:
    --added shadows and highlights to most parts of the image (roofs, stones, lookout, plants, water barrel). I was trying to emulate Max's method. I think it makes a huge improvement.
    --reduced the opacity of the texture, and I think it works better now. What do you guys think of it?
    --added mossy growths to the building roofs and around the steps.

Up next:
    --add planks to the deck by hand (I think it is probably better than trying to use a PS paintbrush, although I'll still give the planks some highlights/shadows)
    --add clouds to the base of the ARG
    --first- and second-floor plans
    --labels
    --perhaps, if time permits, a border

Keep them comments coming. Glad for any input.

THW

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Apothecarian 005.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	68949  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 11-08-2014 at 02:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast