Thread: Neptune Station Undersea Dome Complex - Science Station

Default Neptune Station Undersea Dome Complex - Science Station

I spent this week making what turns out 17 levels of an undersea dome complex serving as a science station and oceanography/marine biology post graduate program for various world universities. This might fit a modern or near future sci-fi game.

I used Xara Designer Pro 9, a vector drawing application to do most of these maps, though some 3D models were created to serve the more specialized map objects required, including the domes, the manta sub and the crab work vehicle (in the moon pool), all the sea life and plants, and the holo-screen in Habitat level 5. Everything else is beveled shapes, color or photo image fills, and drop or halo shadows.

Although I initially planned to offer this a a Zip file containg hi-res JPGs (at proper scale, since these maps are currently 72 x 72 inches at 1 inch = 10 foot scale.) and a PDF of the gazetteer of the complex, every level and every chamber offerred at DrivethruRPG - and I do plan to do that, but first I'm letting freelancetraveller.com a fanzine for the Traveller RPG host it on their website (in the current scaled versions), along with what I intend to put on the PDF, a gazetteer of the complex. The editor of Freelance Traveller contacted me on G+ while I was posting these on a Traveller G+ community.

Enjoy!

GP

PS: its going to take 4 or 5 posts to get all the levels uploaded...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-main-final.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	72669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-university-final.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	72670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-maintenance-final.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	72671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-habitat1-final.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	72672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-habitat2-final.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	72673
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Next 5 levels

Name:	neptune-habitat4-final.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	72676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-habitat3-final.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	72675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-habitat5-final.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	72677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-industrial-ops-final.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	72678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-hydro1-final.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	72679
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Next 5 levels.

Name:	neptune-hydro2-final.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	72680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-hydro4-final.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	72682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-marine1-final.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	72683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-marine2-final.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	72684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-hydro3-final.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	72681
    DrivethruRPG store

Last 2 maps.

Name:	neptune-marine3-final.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	72685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-marine4-final.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	72686
    DrivethruRPG store

That's a big, complete, detailed and very game-able map GP! It makes me want to play to "Blue Planet" RPG .

Thanks, Illanthar, most often I create limited areas, and not complete facilities. But the players in my games are those guys who check every door and look in every cubby hole, so incomplete maps lead to problems, so its better to make everything possible, and have it covered, in case they look more deeply than what the storyline provides.
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is an awesome share. Also I have figured out one of your super powers which is super-mapping-speed. Honestly I think that if I made maps as fast as you do, my maps would make people sad but yours are awesome and sooo playable. Kudos!

Cheers,
    Meshon

I'm use to working in a one-person graphics shop for 20 years, so I had to do everything fast. So when I create a map, I can't do it slow. Part of it is wanting to keep to the concept of the image in my head as accurately depicted as possible, and the best way to keep true to concept is not spending too much time on it, and part of it was to get done with the map, the faster I go I sooner I get done. In trying to be complete on this project, before I got to the last levels, I was already thinking about the next map I wanted to do - so I had to finish fast, so I could get to the next idea.

Ask any of the older guild members, I am a notoriously fast mapper.

I'm glad you guys like this one.
    DrivethruRPG store