Thread: Map styles question

Default Map styles question

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct section for this question, but here goes.

I'm am new to creating maps, but having a blast creating them. I am constantly checking out different fantasy maps to see how others created theirs and the style they used.

My question is this: I am wanting to search for different maps of a specific "style." I'm not sure what the different styles are referred to as, or if there even are names for the different styles. I am hoping someone could help me out with the style name or at least some "better" search terms to find this particular style.

An example of what style I'm looking for is here: http://djekspek.deviantart.com/art/M...-map-144314351

I am wanting to search for maps that are sort of "zoomed-in," big, fantasy style maps like the one above.

When I try to search for fantasy maps I get a lot of the zoomed-out styles similar to a basic map of the United States. I am having trouble finding the style of maps I'm wanting to look through.

Any help for the style, or search terms, to find the zoom-in look would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Raavyncloud

I

Blog Entries

In cartography jargon the terms are "large scale" for zoomed in, and "small scale" for zoomed out. The exact threshold between them (or between either of them and "medium scale") is rather nebulous. A lot of people not familiar with Cartography or Geography also get the terms backwards adding to confusion.

Maps are also broken down by their purpose. The maps most people outside of the world of geography think of when they hear the word "map" are reference maps with a few superficial elements of navigational maps (charts) thrown in. The most common maps are actually thematic maps, although they are by their nature confined to specialized technical fields. Weather maps are the most commonly encountered thematic maps for normal people.

So in the terms above, that example map could be described as a medium scale reference map: It's not particularly zoomed in or zoomed out and its purpose is to give a general purpose overview of the area. Yes, this is every bit as vague as it sounds but it's a start.

The specific way that the information of a map is represented visually is called its "symbology". Some symbologies do have names such as APP-6A which is a symbology widely used by NATO ground forces. The example map you've linked to has what might be called an "artistic" symbology (Which is still extremely vague) with a vaguely bird's eye perspective. Similar symologies are reasonably common but there isn't really a formal name for it. Most maps like that tend to be created by illustrators rather than cartographers or geographers and so they tend to just be described as "maps"; even if there were a term for it, the people making the maps would be unlikely to know it.

The guild does have some common symbologies that have acquired names, but they are quite specific to the guild and wouldn't be meaningful outside of this forum. "Antique", "Artistic", and "Saderan" are prominent.

I am not sure what Zoomed in look means. The map that you showed is a world map that is either just one continent or perhaps just one part of a larger map.

First of all there is a huge section here on tutorials. Perhaps sift through them first to see if someone has tutorials that offer what you like.

Atlas style maps are interesting there are a few tutorials here for them.

There are many styles, hand drawn, water color, ones that use CGI textures, etc.

Here is a video tutorial for trees and mountains
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YiOAr_Iok

Here is another series of video tutorials but of a city map, the same techniques can be used for world maps though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4XZfaSAoA

Good luck and just try different things that you like.
    Ascension's tutorial is a good start.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2229

I use his technique for creating the basic shape and then I use other techniques for coloring, shading, mountains and trees.