Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irvalian Headlands

Default Irvalian Headlands

Continuing to re-work my campaign setting, opting to do an overland map in my painted style. Super early stages here, proof-of-concepting some things, etc. The buildings are just place-holders to see how they'd look. Will probably re-arrange a bit, crop out some of the land on the edges, etc. CC appreciated, especially high-level thoughts at this stage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iral3.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	112578

Interesting looking technique, how do you do this?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I start out by making the map in a video game. I use Planet Coaster - it's got pretty solid terrain tools, buildings, etc. This is what it looks like in-game:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prefilter.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	112579
    Then I mess with it in GIMP. So far for this one, I've just hit it with my two favorite GMIC filters. The top layer is the image with Brushify and then set to 50% opacity. The second layer is vector paint with about 9.90 detail. When I actually finish the render, I'll tinker with it a little more, doing some cleanup and other effects.

Ah, I see. Never would have thought of that. Interesting! Will be cool to see what it looks like finished.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Pretty dang cool.

One thing you might want to do is maybe 'bring up the view' a bit, so that a horizon is included. (I'm assuming that's land across the bay.) It might give a more complete sense of depth to the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Pretty dang cool.

One thing you might want to do is maybe 'bring up the view' a bit, so that a horizon is included. (I'm assuming that's land across the bay.) It might give a more complete sense of depth to the piece.
    Oh, I like that idea. I was planning on ditching the land across the water to the north. Might be tricky with the software I'm using, but I'll see if getting the horizon in there is something I can do. Thanks for the input!

I've been working on the terrain a fair bit, so that's a lot further along. At the same time, tried showing the horizon. It's a quick, rough job, but I wanted to get some idea of what it might look like. CC appreciated!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iral3a.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	5.42 MB 
ID:	112610

Very good looking, remind me of Spore (with much better graphics tho). However it might be a bit too blurry, especially the sea, it's a bit weird. The overhanging mountains are weird too, but otherwise it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Abdel View Post
    Very good looking, remind me of Spore (with much better graphics tho). However it might be a bit too blurry, especially the sea, it's a bit weird. The overhanging mountains are weird too, but otherwise it's fine.
    Thanks for the feedback! I see what you mean about the mountains. For the sea, what part do you think is too blurry? The darker parts at the bottom definitely show the brush strokes, so I could take a look at that.

Anyone have thoughts on the horizon? There's a lot to be cleaned up there, but I'm curious if people have opinions about the overall effect.

The horizon looks very cool nothing to say about it. For the sea I was talking about the parts at the bottom, bit it seems like you already saw it. Also, what are the bulges on the down left part? Forest or mountains? And why are there darker partsin the forest on the bottom right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast