Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Map Project | City of New Richmond | Top-Down | Mixed Media | WIP

Very nice improvement with those prismacolor markers! Especially for the green areas and waters.
    I think you're right to plan a sketchup model only for the downtown. I had the same trail of thought about my argona project, reducing to a quarter (maximum) the size of a possible model.

Wow, Darcy! this is all seriously high tech and very impressive. I'm afraid that if I were to do something along these lines it would be in watercolour and the 3D version in Blender - neither of which would match up in any way to what you have here. Its just amazing

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default City of New Richmond | Sketch-update 2 | Straight To The Core

City of New Richmond | Sketch-update 2 | Straight To The Core

As promised in the last update - I was going to show the progress of the Sketchup 3D mapping portion of Map Project "New Richmond".

First off, there is a big change of what I will actually be importing into Sketchup. In one of my previous posts, it was my intention to import the first 9 pages of New Richmond into Sketchup. That may have been a bit too ambitious. After detailing a small section in the top right corner, I realized that it was way to big of a project and have since scaled back this part of the project.

The part of New Richmond that will now be imported into Sketchup will (for now) be the main Central Business District or Core/Center of the city. This will ensure that the modelling portion of this project can be done without destroying my laptop! Here is the portion to be imported:

While the section to be imported into Sketchup may be a small portion on the map, in reality there are over 23 city blocks in this district. I think it's a good place to start with the 3D side of this project. Here are some progress shots with details.

1. One of the key challenges of bringing this map project into a 3D realm was that the two often don't mix very well. Despite the amount of accuracy put into the hand-drawn maps, there was some serious issues with dimensions and placement of certain buildings that had to dealt with.

2. Regardless of the challenges, the results so far are turning out to be much better than expected. It's quite magical to see something you have drawn in real life be brought to life in a 3D realm.

3. The design portion is probably the easiest, the hard part will be texturing each. and. every. polygon. This is where components and groups in Sketchup becomes your best friend.

4. The first items to be modeled/textured in detail are the road tiles, trees, ornaments and parks. Actual building lots will be the last thing to modeled.

5. The city center or core will be the first to modeled. Depending on how long it takes to process this small chunk, I may proceed with additional areas to be imported into Sketchup.

I believed that focusing my efforts on a small area of this map is a better alternative to what i was doing for - everything. Even though the whole map may not end up be modeled in Sketchup, it is my intention to use what has been imported as a reference for future maps.

The next "sketch-update" will showcase the texturing process and perhaps a preview of a completed building lot!

Thanks for viewing!

-darcycardinal

Fabled Maps Cartography - Facebook Page - Click HERE
    Map Project "New Richmond" - Newest Update 10, Sept 5 - Click HERE
    New Richmond Sketch-update - Newest Update 2, Sept 8 - Click HERE

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wow ! that must be quite a work !

3D seemed always very complicated to me, but you make it looks easy (though I think there's several hours behind this map)

Will you make the whole city ?

Anyway, the result is really great ! Keep up !

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Sizeman21's Avatar

Default Very cool map

Wow, from page 1 to 4 you show some great progress on your map. I enjoy the city planning and for sight as to where you want to go next with each addition to the city. Good stuff.

Guild Novice

This is so cool! I love how detailed your hand-drawn maps are, and going into 3D is just awesome.

I'm so impressed. Keep it up!

Guild Expert

It's really neat to see you're drawings jump out of the page in 3D, I really enjoyed looking over this thread... Great job so far.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234