Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map Project | City of New Richmond | Top-Down | Mixed Media | WIP

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This is jawdropping! Insane work, in the best possible way. The 3D stuff is very ambitious and the hand drawn map is just beautiful. Very inspirational.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    This is jawdropping! Insane work, in the best possible way. The 3D stuff is very ambitious and the hand drawn map is just beautiful. Very inspirational.
    Here is a little video on what it looks like in real time. The 3D stuff is indeed ambitious. However, there are ways to automate some parts of the design process.

Excellent! This downtown just makes me want to try a modern or futuristic city with sketchup!

I am very curious how you go about drawing this. Are you using architectural or urban planning stuff? This looks very technically accurate, and I'd be very interested in chatting with you about your project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbdryden View Post
    I am very curious how you go about drawing this. Are you using architectural or urban planning stuff? This looks very technically accurate, and I'd be very interested in chatting with you about your project.
    Thanks jbdryden, ill have to put up another update as the city has change quite a bit since the last updated. I'll PM you on what is going on.

-darcycardinal

My goodness this is fantastic! I'd never heard of Sketchup before but it's very impressive what you've done with it here.

You mentioned Sim City in one of your earlier posts and there is a very Sim City feel to this. I can't wait to see how this develops and the level of detail you seem willing to go to. Amazing work and thanks so much for posting it for the rest of us to see. Inspirational.

Weery.

I've been hoping for an update and thought it passed like one of my ambitious projects. New Richmond reminds me of my own cities and noticed you use graph paper to produce your map. Here I am measuring each section of my cities when there was graph paper. Do they sell it in large sheets at least 14x17 inches?

Blog Entries

Good news,

Yes this project is still alive, and yes, there is progress on the map. And YES, there will be an update soon. took me long enough huh? Anyways, here is a preview of the map. The map did get shoved to the back burner over the recent months due to my writing projects, however I wasn't going to abandon it. There will be some changes to the map as it progresses, one in particular is that I'm going to cap this city to 21 pages - as im using this project as a "testing ground" for future maps. Here in this picture i am laying out the lots to be filled in.

@PMdarkseed2012 - I use a custom graph paper, which i print off then cut the excess space on the edges, so that there is a clean flush edge for all the pieces of the map to full together. It measures about 10.4 and 8. I have thought about getting large scale map sections, however, scanning them can be expensive as i can frequently go back to make changes/additions to these maps. Can you send me a link to your work btw? Thanks.

@PMWeery - I got started with maps with Simcity. The game was at a friends house and i fell in love with the game, but we didn't own a computer, so i chose the next best thing, which was pens, paper and my imagination. I have literally thousands of pages of maps stored with me. The sketchup work is very recent, only in the last two years, but it has great potential to bring mapping to the third dimension.

-darcycardinal

Blog Entries

Wip City of New Richmond | Update 10 | Phase 2 Finally | Part I

City of New Richmond | Update 10 | Phase 2 Finally | Part I

FINALLY.

The long awaited Map Project update, for “New Richmond” has been completed.

It have been quite a few months since the last update (update 9) for New Richmond, and I was more than eager to get back into this project. To be honest, for a while, it seems like the project was dead, but I wanted to see this map project through to the end.

In this update, which is #10, several changes to the map have been made. First, all existing map pages prior the this update have been overhauled with a more vivid, detailed coloring system. Second, an additional six pages have been added to the map with expansion phase 2. Here is an overview shot of the map project so far:

For the second phase, three pages on the top and three on the bottom have been added. The original nine pages along with the newly added ones can be seen in the following illustration:

Below are the two new sections added to the map:

Front the start, one thing has been bothering me about this project. I have not given much in the way of an explanation of the map details and features. I have decided to go through a detailed walk through of each new pieces below, in an attempt to make it easier to read the map.

1. Starting with the first page, there is a small river out-flowing into a large body of water, which is the pacific ocean. The green dots that are in various sizes are trees. In the piece below, the trees are both lining the streets and in groups around the river.

High-res Photo HERE

2. New Richmond is a fictional map, based on the real life city of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I like working with older style city designs, especially grids and super blocks. Vancouver proved to be a good place to turn for inspiration as it matched what I was looking for in a city design.

High-res Photo HERE

3. Parks and open spaces are a key ingredient for making a viable, livable city. The small to large green sections are just that - parks, open spaces and grass lots. In the middle of this map is a large park, the lines that criss-cross it are walkways and trails.

High-res Photo HERE

4. Here, is a major arterial road, along with smaller collector/feeder streets. The red lines are only shown on important roadways, they are dividers and crosswalks.

High-res Photo HERE

5. Below, is a large park with two ponds and an elaborate trail system. A major road borders the park, which leads into a two way traffic circle on the right.

High-res Photo HERE

End of Part I

-darcycardinal

Last edited by darcycardinal; 09-06-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Fabled Maps Cartography - Facebook Page - Click HERE
    Map Project "New Richmond" - Newest Update 10, Sept 5 - Click HERE
    New Richmond Sketch-update - Newest Update 2, Sept 8 - Click HERE

Blog Entries

Wip City of New Richmond | Update 10 | Phase 2 Finally | Part II

City of New Richmond | Update 10 | Phase 2 Finally | Part II

Part II.

6. Shown here, the most visible feature of each map piece - the buildings. Each lot is usually eight to ten meters in width, and 32 meters in depth. Each lot faces the street, but is also serviced by a lane way, which intersects all lots in the back.

High-res Photo HERE

7. Finally, the dimensions of the map - 1,632 meters wide and the depth is 2,080 meters.

I took a few photos of the finished map so far. Currently, the map is taking up the entire dinning room table in my place. Once phase three is complete, this map will no longer fit here (i wonder how i can take future shots?).

To get a reference of how large New Richmond is already - I have inserted and scaled the map into Google earth. Below are the cities of New York, Vancouver and Houston for comparison:

For the last part of this update, I wanted to show the recent coloring system change used for this project. Prismacolor markers, which are alcohol based, non refillable markers are now in use. These markers are often called upon by professionals for illustrations like manga, cartoons and such.

The Prismacolors completely change the shading of different features like water, vegetation and buildings. The only drawback is that creating each page takes much longer, like double the time that it took before. The end results though, are more than worth it and will I continue to use them for future phases.

Having to go back to my previous work and redo the map was one of the reasons why it took so long to create this update. Each page, including every section of grass, building and water feature got colored in. Below are three examples showing before and after the use of Prismacolor markers:

Final thoughts.

Moving forward with this project, I am still debating a few things. First, how big this city should get and second, how much of this city will make it into Sketchup.

There was a previous phase scheme, with a total of 45 pages planned. I have since dialed down the project to only five phases with 28 pages planned. But... there may be a possible chance that a future expansion to the city will happen.

As for the Sketchup work, I'm going to stick to the downtown core only for now, due to the sheer size of the city.Regardless, it is my intention to finish the project in its current planning state. I am also aiming for a 1-2 week turnaround for all future updates here, and on my Facebook page found HERE.

In the next update, I will be showing a detailed map legend and updating the Sketchup side of this project.

Thanks for reading and sharing, see you next time!

-darcycardinal

Fabled Maps Cartography - Facebook Page - Click HERE
    Map Project "New Richmond" - Newest Update 10, Sept 5 - Click HERE
    New Richmond Sketch-update - Newest Update 2, Sept 8 - Click HERE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast