Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: The Heist

Default Feb / Mar 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: The Heist

Being new here I was advised to try out one of the Lite Mapping Challenges, so I'm throwing my hat into the ring, so to speak.

When I saw that the challenge was a railway the first thing that came to mind was a train robbery, so I figured why not. And since I am drawn to the fantasy genre I made it an Elven railway, and an Elven empire as well. It may not fit the challenge exactly, I'm not sure, but I am new to map making and any practice is good practice.

The idea was that a map of the empire rail system was stolen which led to the planning of the heist.

Any comments or criticisms welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Heist.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	80686

Still have a lot of work to do adjusting composition, cropping, adding terrain, and figuring out how to best represent the railway on the map. Right now it's just a black line, but that will change. Plus maybe some drop shadows for the papers, map border, and other details.
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-26-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Welcome to the Challenge, good idea, be interesting to see what you do with it.

Don't forget to put ### Latest WIP ### on your post so the map shows up in the Thumbnails.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Welcome to the Challenge, good idea, be interesting to see what you do with it.

Don't forget to put ### Latest WIP ### on your post so the map shows up in the Thumbnails.
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but did I put the ### Latest WIP ### in the wrong place or type it wrong? Should it be within the [...] that attaches the image?

I just want to make sure I have it correct.

Thank you.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Orc View Post
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but did I put the ### Latest WIP ### in the wrong place or type it wrong? Should it be within the [...] that attaches the image?

I just want to make sure I have it correct.

Thank you.
    Fixed it for you.

Hi Savage Orc, welcome to the challenge! I'm loving what you have so far!

In your first comment, you've put spaces between the hashes (so you have # # # instead of ###). That won't work with the image scraper. If you copy how Bogie wrote it above, it should work. You can edit your post above if you like, then check the thumbnails thread to make sure it's showing.

EDIT: Max got in before me!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks for the fix, Max. And thanks for your comments ChickPea.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Haha, great idea here. I like the extra bits you've added beyond just a map. And welcome to the Guild!

Good idea and nice start. I would just do the map more prominent. I mean, you've plenty of space around the map : are you sure to need so many space for extra informations? Even if I like the "plan is on the table" feel, though...

Guild Apprentice Descending Bear's Avatar

Love this concept. The note and the picture next to the map are great, I love stuff like this that kinda tells a story.

I'd probably make the railway more prominent on the map, maybe have the line in red ink or the rest of the details (mountains and so on) in a paler colour? I agree with Ilanthar too, the map itself could be more prominent. Maybe if it's bigger you could add in details like train stations, notes the robbers have written on, that kind of thing.

Thanks for the comments. I'm still working on where the notes will be, I have quite a bit to add to the map so I will probably increase the size of the map and move the notes around. Hope to add some stuff and post another pic soon. And the railway will change, the lines now are just a rough in. For now. I did change the mountains but haven't posted the changes yet.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast