Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hostargo - Commission WIP

Default Hostargo - Commission WIP

Well, the client isn't sure of the whole maps name yet, so I'll just be calling it by the major city Hostargo for now... I'll ask to change the title once I know.

But here is another commission I'm working on. The descripstion was a map around the size of Eastern USA, a mountain range running along a vertical coast, the west is a wildland a mix of jungles, plateaus, plains, the north is a desert, and the east is a sea with hundreds and hundreds of islands..

So here it is..

What has been done:

-Linework
    -Shading
    -The sea!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPG MAP - Copy.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	84362

To do list:

-Colour
    -Make the lakes blue like the sea
    -Border?
    -Title?
    -Labeling (client doesn't have too much in mind yet so we'll see how this unfolds)
    -Rhumb Lines
    -Locations

For locations right now I've just been playing around and testing, none of those on the map are final.. The client only has one city in mind at the moment, but the will possibly be more.

And as for Rhumb lines, I've never done them before on a map, and any tips would be appreciated. I just think Rhumb lines would look good among all those island, I really don't know anything about the technical side of them.

Well, let me know what you think of what I've got so far!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really really great so far! You're definitely one of the more talented folks that's come along here in the last few months.

As for this map, I'm digging the plateaus in the forest with the little village & tower, the forests themselves, and especially the mountains. All strong elements that help offset the sea (which looks great also). The desert, I'm more iffy on right now, although that sand whirlpool thing looks intriguing.

Off to a great start on this one Josiah. The ocean color is really nice. As Diamond said the villages and plateaus are really nice as well. Look forward to watching this one develop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice! What's it commissioned for? Seems odd commissioning a map when you don't have names or a context yet.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wow, this is amazing! You've got a good background texture; the shading looks really, really good; and many of those locations already have an incredible amount of detail.

If I might askm how did you do the "fill" of the forests? What kind of bursh (settings) did you use? I often use a grungy brush, but this here looks really smooth and natural!

As for your questions: try the same color for the lakes as you've used for the ocean; maybe tweek it around then to make it slightly brighter (but just slightly). No rhumb lines. You've got so many islands I think those would just visually clutter up the ocean.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Very nice! What's it commissioned for? Seems odd commissioning a map when you don't have names or a context yet.
    Not really; often game masters/RPG players will come up with a general idea for a setting and commission that one without supplying (m)any names. That way they can then allow the group to explore it all without settling for specifics early on.

Can only agree with what's already been said, this looks gorgeous ! The shading and coloring are great and I'm also curious about the sand vortex up north. You're really improving your game. I look forward to the next step.

Beautiful job on this, love the sea color, your mountains are beautiful and really like the spiky elements next to the brown forest.

Rhumb lines are typically 16 or 32 lines and align with the others in a circle (see attachment of my initial research for a map I did, that shows some rhumb line info.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PortolanSummary.pdf 
Views:	144 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	84376

Absolutely gorgeous! Watching with interest.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Gorgeous start Josiah. Particularly loving those mountains, but fantastic all round!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast