Thread: My First Map and Artistic Attempt In General

Guild Applicant

Map My First Map and Artistic Attempt In General

A little preamble before looking at my map. I am not artistically inclined, but I am trying to make my own D&D adventure to DM with my friends. I made the mistake of deciding that drawing up some penciled sketch in 10 minutes wasn't enough, I would take some time and make it look a little nice. So I drew up a sketch of what I wanted, and with the help of a tutorial on this forum, I made a simple map for my little adventure. I tried to keep it simple as I am not a skilled artist. I hope to design some dungeons as well. I think designing these maps and dungeons will help me as a DM to become more immersed in the world, and better able to create a positive atmosphere for the players. Here's the map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Silver_Isle.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	793.8 KB 
ID:	84866

I could probably make the text better, and I wanted to make the forest look a little more interesting, but wasn't sure how. It is supposed to be a vast forest, but it seems a little bare. Filling the area completely with trees looked weird to me. I could also probably do something with the color on the mountains. I tried to make them myself using gimp tools, but couldn't get it to look good so I cracked and found some brushes to use. I also used brushes for the trees and vegetation. I hope to improve in skill as I try to make more maps. Right now I'm barely a novice.

I like it very much,thanks a lot~~

The map itself as a first artistic attempt is not that bad, but, keep in mind that the more realistic the layout of the landscape it, the better the map looks, i strongly advice you to just go over maps of the expert mappers on the site, study their pattern, search google for landscape pictures and try to build them into your map.
    Using pre made brushes is okay but, use them wisely, spreading them around the map in a rough way wont do alot.
    I realy hope you succeed with your D&D mapping, and i will look for a great guide i followed not long ago, it was super helpful and im sure it can help you too

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice - as a first map this might be better off in the WIP section, so we can all make suggestions and you can provide updates, rather than "Finished".