Thread: Ghaal "Nave of the World

Wip Ghaal "Nave of the World"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghaal High Detail.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	84702

New guild member here. Uploading pretty early into a city I've been working on, looking for feedback or input.

I've situated the city at a big rivers estuary and a strait, to give it plausible reason for it's size and importance as a trade and governmental sweet spot.

Rok means cliff or keep. Na means great or big.

Please feel free to ask about specifics about the city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghaal High Detail.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	4.95 MB 
ID:	84700  
    Last edited by ClayProof; 06-26-2016 at 05:36 PM.

The geography looks natural and the general shape of the city is very interesting. What era does this take place in? Do you plan on an overhead look of the city with general shapes to indicate buildings and roads? Or will you take a more illustrative approach and draw landmarks? I think the former would look great.

The era is pre musket, at least in the Ghaal Empire. The dominance of the Empire has been relatively stable and disinclined to change rapidly, taking some inspiration from Chinese Dynasties and the Shogunate system but with with a heavy touch of Byzantine aesthetic (though more blocky) and some of my own ideas that do not really have clear historical parallels.

I've been doing some testing with individual houses, but the scale I am thinking of makes it look cluttered. I guess I could try some more general outlines of areas with some bigger structures and the roads, hmm.

I am also working on the world map but that is in an even earlier state.
    Last edited by ClayProof; 07-06-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Coincidentally I have a Gaal Empire in my world. Nice start, I particularly like the shading on the land, though I could do without the outline-line around the coast, I don't feel it adds anything.

Great map! Was wondering about the scale, like how wide are those rivers?

@Robulous Hmm yeah I'll see how it looks without them in my next session.

The scale is not really set in stone right now. Jeh is supposed to be a great outflow from a pretty big river basin. I'm comparing with some time appropriate cities for scale but the concept is a bit superlative so I'd multiply the end result. I wen't with the "districts and not buildings route" in the latest updates to see how it fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghaal High Detail - After Strokeh.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	85480

Also have started on the Ghaal Empire Region Map in another thread and the river basin should be apparent.
    Last edited by ClayProof; 07-19-2016 at 04:29 PM.