Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethran: Merelan City

Mouse, everything looks great. Further inspiration for my next map (which will be no where near this scale!). Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Ajrittler

This is a CC3+ map, but you should be able to recreate most of the effects I use without too much difficulty in PS. If you want to know how I did something in particular just ask - I'm... sort of ok at talking in pigeon PS at a basic level

Never be afraid to start something big. Even if you never finish it you will learn so very much from the attempt. There have been many times when I nearly gave up with this one, but I'm very glad that I didn't

I've been trying to get the colours right on just one tree all night, because rendering lots of different trees in the wrong colours and having to do it all over again would waste a humungous amount of time.

This is a test area of just the one test tree, pasted in the four colours I hope are closest to natural woodland, or parkland. I haven't done any purple foliage trees, or autumnal trees just yet (at least, not any that look right), but they are next.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees5.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	87547

Comments and critiques welcome - too dark... too light... to intense... not intense enough.... etc

Guild Expert

I think those colours look pretty good so far, except maybe the one on the far right overlapping the bigger path. To me it stands out from the rest, maybe its just that it's farther from the others, or it has a bluish undertone, I don't know, but I prefer the ones with a more yellowish hue. It almost feels like it needs to be a bit more muddy... If that makes any sense.

LOL! Muddy makes perfect sense, Kacey

You mean not so intense - more grey/black/yellow in the mix.

I was thinking that myself, but I'm going to take a short break and get some sleep - come back to look at it fresh. I've been up for over 24 hrs right now. That's how obsessed I can get about these things - don't even notice the hours floating by.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

You made a really great job with those trees ! They really look alive to me.
    I think they are all right like this.... To my mind, if you really had to change something, that would be the orange tint on the dead tree. I know it's too much regarding a real tree. But it could be dialed down a bit.... But it's only if you absolutely want to do something about those trees.. they are just fine the way they are !

Thanks Jo

Thank you both - Jo and Kacey - I forgot my manners last night!

Its really helpful to know what two such great tree connoisseurs think of the job so far

Now that I look at it again with fresh eyes, I totally agree the dead trees are waaaay too orange, and the greenest tree is possibly right on the edge of being a bit too much green, but here is a fascinating trick for you with colour...

Name:	Trees6.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	87563 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees5.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	87564

The same tree, in the same four colours, and the same dead trees. The only difference is that they have been pasted on the darkest greenest grass in the map (and I had to pull the zoom a bit so you could see them all).

Ok - I think I've licked the colour problem with just the one tree - autumn versions and purple foliage version now included. About the only one I'm not altogether happy with is the deepest orange. I think I might have to turn that one brown and call it a dead tree with leaves on it

Name:	Trees7.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	87571

The two silver trees are aspen, or birch I rendered yesterday (once I discovered how to stop them being so acid green). They seem to have a more realistic shape and form to them, and go a lot better with the rest of the trees.

I'm still missing a couple of those light green colours you get in the early spring, but they aren't going to be half as much of a problem as getting just exactly the right shade of purple! (and even now I'm not sure I have it 100% right)

Unless anyone has any suggestions or comments about the colours as they stand I'm going to start manufacturing a set of about 25 different shapes and sizes of tree, each of all the colours, which will be about 150 trees and take me a couple of days. So I may be some time! LOL

UPDATE: three more greens to add to the mix...

Name:	Trees8.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	87584
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-13-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Those look great! I love the variation of colour.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea

I've noticed how I seem to be working on this map in a strange synchronous fashion with the Challenges - first an arena at Somnee, and now a carefully controlled colour palette of trees.

I just hope you don't go and decide to set the next Challenge as 'map a battle ship deck' or something, or I'm going to end up in a right old fix! LOL

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast