Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

Default Hello everyone!

Hi! I am Raven, as the name says. I live in Singapore, moved here from Pennsylvania :3
    I'm new to map making, really. I started because I am a writer, and I want to make maps for my stories. I write Fantasy, along the lines of The Lord of The Rings, and other series, like the Books of Pelinor. Hope to learn and become as good at map making as I am at writing!

I use AutoREALM and CC3, so any tips or tutorials on these programs would be much appreciated!!

Welcome to the Guild, Raven. I think you may already have joined the Profantasy Forum as "Raven" as well? If you are wondering who I am, then I should probably tell you I'm not very fond of my PF name, but it's "Loopysue" - invented when I wasn't very keen on myself! LOL

There are many CC3 mappers here in the crowd, and its a nice friendly crowd, with thousands of different things you can learn.

You have a very similar remit to my own. I also started making maps for my novels. You will find many others just like us, both here and on the Profantasy forum.

Do you have any work you can show? It doesn't have to be finished

Well, no, I am not on the Profantasy forums... I got my copy of CC3 from my late father a while ago, didn't give it a second glance until yesterday!
    I hope I do learn here, like I said, particularly about CC3, although I want to learn AutoREALM as well.
    I have a very early "Alpha" version of the map of my favourite province that I have written about - Snowfall. It's very crude, and I cannot figure out for to border it off, or write!
    If you want, I think I could post it.. (If I can figure it out). The island shape and size are not final, this is merely to give myself something to work off of, I imagine the final version will be a lot better looking!
    You write the same sort of novels as I?
    I'm sorry if you mean you want some of my writing, I am not releasing the latest piece until it's completed.

Hi Raven, welcome to the Guild.

You're welcome to post a version of your map in the WIP folder for advice and critique. I don't personally use CC3 so can't help with that, but there are a bunch of members who do, as Mouse says above, and I'm sure someone can help you out. To add an image to your post, if you look just underneath the comment box, there's a button that says 'Go Advanced'. Click on that then scroll down to the button that says 'Manage Attachments'. You'll be able to upload an image from there. If you need help, just holler.

Looking forward to seeing your work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THESNO~1.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	85735Thanks! I'll put it here, and in the WIP section. It's my first, so I hope it's not too bad... I made the landmass a bit too big, I'm afraid, which is why I like AutoREALM a bit more, easier to manage.
    Last edited by Raven; 07-26-2016 at 06:54 AM.

I'd save it for the WIP folder, rather than here. You'll get a far better response there, as not everyone looks at the Intro thread. Best if you try to keep all the critique in the one thread, so that people aren't repeating what someone else already said.

And don't worry if it's good or bad. We all start somewhere and we're not judgemental in this forum.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Understood :3 It's up there, in the WIP section!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Well, no, I am not on the Profantasy forums... I got my copy of CC3 from my late father a while ago, didn't give it a second glance until yesterday!
    I hope I do learn here, like I said, particularly about CC3, although I want to learn AutoREALM as well.
    I have a very early "Alpha" version of the map of my favourite province that I have written about - Snowfall. It's very crude, and I cannot figure out for to border it off, or write!
    If you want, I think I could post it.. (If I can figure it out). The island shape and size are not final, this is merely to give myself something to work off of, I imagine the final version will be a lot better looking!
    You write the same sort of novels as I?
    I'm sorry if you mean you want some of my writing, I am not releasing the latest piece until it's completed.
    Oh no. I don't want your writing, Raven. I have enough of my own to contend with. Too much writing to want anyone else's. LOL. I was enquiring after your maps, but I see that you have uploaded one since I was last at my desk. That's a good start, considering you are only using CC3, and not CC3+.

And yes, I am a fantasy writer, though not yet published. That's why I need to draw myself a few maps, though I seem to have developed something of an addiction to the art

We must have a different Raven back on PF, but I would highly recommend joining that as well, since you won't necessarily get to hear about all the Profantasy software updates on Cartographer's Guild, splendid though it is. For instance, work is about to cease on the version of CC3 you have. The rest of us have been using CC3+ for some time now, with a greatly increased set of styles and tools. There are also add ons you may never have heard about - Dungeon Designer 3 and City Designer 3 - things that help you build cities and do RPG type drawings, if you wish.

Members like Ladiestorm, Lorelei and myself all use CC3+ almost exclusively if you want to have a look around here for examples of what is possible here at the Guild, but to see a wider range of work you can visit Profantasy any time you like without having to buy anything.

Its right here: https://secure.profantasy.com/default.asp. Click on Community/forum. (I believe you will have to create a logon, but that is all)

Happy mapping!

Oh, well, I would have CC3+ if I had money to buy it... I got this copy from my father, who paid for it himself. I don't have any money, myself. I wish I had the software, but I don't :/

Fear not, Raven, the software is really very affordable compared to some other packages. I am currently unemployed, but I still managed to get hold of it. I will investigate how much an upgrade from what you have to CC3+ will cost and let you know through the private messaging system, so you can decide for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast