Thread: The Northern Lands of Lormendier (Commission)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Map The Northern Lands of Lormendier (Commission)

A follow-up to my first commission, this time being a more wintery land.

It's the same slightly cartoony style and hopefully should be part of a trio of Lormendier, with a third more deserty piece.

As with the last one, I'm not really after critique. The client's very happy with the way they are going and though stylistically I might change some bits and pieces, I have to really keep it in the same vein as the first, so it's been it's own task maintaining the same style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Northern Lands of Lormendier Final.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	87411

Any comments, rep or anything else is most welcome.

Nice and congrates, it's alway nice to do a series Look forward to the third one. Also thanks for your last comment about my maps.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice - what are the yellow circles?

Congrats on another commission piece. I like the cities, they're really great.
    I think the routes could be better, they are a bit too prominent and almost drown out the map a tiny bit. Also I'm not really fond of the swirly things instead of dots or squares, but perhaps it's just a matter of opinion.
    Maybe the mountains could use darker linework because zoomed out they just look like a blob of grey.
    I'm glad the client is satisfied, that's the most important park.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks for the feedback Josiah. I agree about the paths, but they are meant to be prominent. Like I said before, with my first commission it was a learning experience and I did elements perhaps not as well as I might have done such as the path style and other bits and pieces (especially with the forests) but thought it best to keep the same style here for consistency.

I'm happy with the mountains it's a big map so they get drowned out a bit and perhaps they could be thicker. However, the map will mostly be viewed close-up in its intended purpose for a game, so they wont be quite so blobby.

Also, the yellow circles mark the very prominent cities/capitals.

There's a huge amount of details hidden in this map, that's quite impressive !

Nice one GLS!

Nice work with this, and congrats on getting repeat commissions. No better praise than that if you're trying to do this professionally!

The map looks good, though a little empty in places, however if that's what the client wanted, then it's all good. (Commenting on the emptiness reminded me of a quote by Terry Pratchett: "...really it only appeared on the maps because cartographers get embarrassed about big empty spaces." ) I like the icons for town/settlements. I don't think I've ever used anything like that in my own maps, yet I like them so much!

Anyway, good job and I'll look forward to seeing the third map.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    The map looks good, though a little empty in places, however if that's what the client wanted, then it's all good. (Commenting on the emptiness reminded me of a quote by Terry Pratchett: "...really it only appeared on the maps because cartographers get embarrassed about big empty spaces." )

Anyway, good job and I'll look forward to seeing the third map.
    Yeah, the emptiness kind of just happened. I wanted it to be fairly barren and snowy and it ended up being like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice one GLS!
    Thanks Ilanthar!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    There's a huge amount of details hidden in this map, that's quite impressive !
    Thanks, it took a while! Though, probably too detailed in some places, and not enough in others!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really love the cities and castle detailed like that !
    And the winter climate is very well done.