Thread: My attempt at a Super-Continent

Wip My attempt at a Super-Continent

Hey everyone, this the first ever map i made using photoshop.

I wanted a really big continent that would take weeks (in-game time) to travel from one end to the other but that you could zoom in on and see all the cities and landmarks clearly. So i started a new canvas 12000x6750 and started drawing the coastline, i think it took me a total of 10-12 hours to arrive to something i was happy with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f4hInpx.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	388.9 KB 
ID:	86958

I then started to color in the different types of terrain and imagine where the mountains and the cities would be. After a few more hours i realized that the map wasn't going to be big enough for what i envisioned, i was trying to work the scale out and my most optimistic estimate ended up around 1500km which is around 2.5 times smaller than australia. So much for my huge continent, but then i decided that i would use this as a more zoomed out map and would make local maps for individual regions, that would allow me to zoom in as much as i want and would be easier to upload to roll20.

So this is the top right corner of the continent, it's a 2919x1182, i probably should have gone larger but i'm pretty happy with the result, cities are a bit cramped for my liking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fqw1yh0.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	922.7 KB 
ID:	86959

So please post your advice and criticism to help me improve this.

Currently working on :
    - Better color transitions (left swamp in particular any advice would be greatly appreciated)
    - Good looking not too invasive roads (debating if i should even put roads in)
    - Labeling (given the proximity of some cities this one might be a headache)
    - improve desert and the more empty looking areas.
    Last edited by Skayloss; 08-25-2016 at 03:15 PM.