Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** September 2016 Challenge: Choose a Color Palette ***

Blog Entries

Oh darn, I was looking forward to those broccoli-flavored Fig Newtons!

Looks like a fun challenge, though.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Pff.. I just started a little map with a limited palette this morning. Haha... not one of these palettes though. Might be fun to join in on this one.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

This is definitely worth a try even if I have no idea were to start. The results are going to be very interesting I'm sure of that.

I guess this sort of thing is out, then:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip0.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	87293

besides being flat-out ugly, of course...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

I love this idea. Might give a go, I've never done a mapping challenge before.

Ooh, what a novel challenge. I wish I had time this month to enter. I'm very much looking forward to seeing all of the entries though

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

@Waldronate: Why would it be out? As long as you go by the rules we've established for color, I don't see why you couldn't do that...

@Blaidd: We'd love to have you! Join in!

Blog Entries

On some apps you can get it to "Reduce the number of colours to X" and then edit the palette. So you could load those colours in and use that feature to dither a map out in exactly those colours. If the dithering is quite fine I reckon we might have to save the image as a PNG instead of JPEG because otherwise the JPG compression will introduce its own colours into the mix.

In Bleeding Tooth...

Name:	CG_in_BleedingTooth.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	87479

In Herald Of The Winter

Name:	RR_in_HeraldOfTheWinter.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	87480

On a side note, only the other day I ported my windows texturing app to linux so I might have a go at this challenge too just to give it a bit of a thrashing ! If were allowing lighting and darkening of the palette colours then it makes the job really easy indeed. If that were me I would have ruled no adjustment of colours through layers or else whats the point... but whatever - set the rules and ill see what I can do with it.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-10-2016 at 08:01 PM.

I had thought about doing the dithering thing, but decided that was wandering far afield from intent. If you haven't seen it, http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/duotone/ is a nice paper about mapping images onto a gamut formed by just two process inks. That sort of thing is important for actually printing things on a press where the number of colors that you use can have a serious impact on cost and could most likely be extended to a very limited palette. If you can combine that sort of thing with artistic screening ( http://liris.cnrs.fr/victor.ostromou...cScreening.pdf ) then you start to have something really interesting. Adding in a hidden picture puzzle generator ( http://www.cs.umsl.edu/~kang/Papers/kang_pg08.pdf ) would be silly, I think.

Blog Entries

Nice links ! I like the MC Esher type of dithering.

I was thinking of just using the dithering technique to finally tidy up a map which is basically done with the palette. If all of the textures and stuff were made with the palette supplied then we can mix the colours. The final stage should produce an image which looks a lot nicer than the above images I did in my last post because those were not using the palette to start with. I am not sure how mine will pan out to be honest but it will be interesting to try this.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-11-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast