Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: Varenthia

Guild Expert

I've made some headway on the labeling, so I thought I'd do a quick update.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zseptember chalenge text work.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	6.69 MB 
ID:	87754

Somehow I basically missed all the progress on this, but WOW! This is beautiful!
    A very interesting palette but you pulled it off spectacularly. The deep purple-ish ocean somehow works so nicely.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

This is awesome!
    I love the emboss effect and the icons as well, and the border is INCREDIBLE!
    The region names almost look like they're engraved into the land, which is very neat!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

This is an absolutely wonderful piece Katey! The border is beautiful and thematically it works so well. It's hard to spot some of the colours with the heavier textures and what not but I'm sure they are all in there.

Guild Expert

Thanks Josiah, and Matthew, you're kind words are really appreciated, especially coming from the most talented set of twins on the forum. Josiah, some of you're maps take up a valued spot in my inspiration folder so it means allot to me that you took the time to leave a comment here.
    Last edited by kacey; 09-21-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    This is an absolutely wonderful piece Katey! The border is beautiful and thematically it works so well. It's hard to spot some of the colours with the heavier textures and what not but I'm sure they are all in there.
    Thank's so much GLS. The colours are definitely in there, actually the border is just the lightest purple, it's only the texture, and the rust highlights making it look this way. This has been the fun part of the challenge for me, seeing how far I can push the colours without breaking any rules, and I've learned so much about PhotoShop in doing it. I really appreciate all the support, and encouragement.

Just excellent!

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Just excellent!
    Thank's Ilanthar.

Guild Expert

Still working on labelling, it’s taking forever, and started working on some main roads. I didn’t want to update again so soon, but I’m looking for some critique on the way I’ve handled the roads. I’m really unsure of how there turning out so I’m hoping to get some feedback on them from the community. I don’t want them to stand out too much, but I do want them to be visible enough to be useful. I’m wondering if their making things look a little sloppy, or taking away from the terrain in some way.

What do you guy’s think, should I continue on the roads in this fashion, or scratch them, and figure out a better way?

Any feedback would be deeply appreciated, I’m feeling a little stuck, and overwhelmed by this project right now.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zseptember chalenge roads work.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	6.76 MB 
ID:	87818

Wow, this is so beautiful. Love it. I like the embossed rivers too! On your question about the path, I'd say it depends on the final output size. At full view it is quite nice at smaller size you loose it a little. You might get a little more red to see it pop, but I do like it.

My only other comment is on the type. I love typeface and the Cap/Small cap combo, really nice touch, compliments the embossed buttons and rivers. However I'd work a little on some of the kerning of the Cap to Small Cap transitions. Letters such as V, Y the next letter needs to be a little tighter.

In your legend, Capital might align better with the icon.

Really great job on this!!!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast