Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: Varenthia

Those big labels look like they're embossed right into the map, it's incredibly enticing. :0

About the roads I'm not sure, I honestly took them for borders before reading the comment and looking closely. I think that they are the same time too strong and not really linear looking enough. As roads they look wrong in comparison with the very subtle rivers.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Wow, this is so beautiful. Love it. I like the embossed rivers too! On your question about the path, I'd say it depends on the final output size. At full view it is quite nice at smaller size you loose it a little. You might get a little more red to see it pop, but I do like it.

My only other comment is on the type. I love typeface and the Cap/Small cap combo, really nice touch, compliments the embossed buttons and rivers. However I'd work a little on some of the kerning of the Cap to Small Cap transitions. Letters such as V, Y the next letter needs to be a little tighter.

In your legend, Capital might align better with the icon.

Really great job on this!!!!!

Thank’s for the critique, and suggestions Snodsy. The final size is 17 by 11 inches, when viewing it at print size the roads are noticeable but subtle.

I don’t know anything about kerning, but I think I know what you mean, and I’ll definitely fix the problem with the V’s, and Y’s, thanks for pointing it out.

I had a tough time with the capitol symbol lining up because of the points, when I align the word capital like you suggested the words for the rest of the symbols don’t line up, it leaves a big gap between the first, and second word in the list, I’ll have to tinker with it some more.

Thank’s again, I really appreciate being able to learn from the people I look up to.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Those big labels look like they're embossed right into the map, it's incredibly enticing. :0

About the roads I'm not sure, I honestly took them for borders before reading the comment and looking closely. I think that they are the same time too strong and not really linear looking enough. As roads they look wrong in comparison with the very subtle rivers.
    Thank's Falconius, I appreciate the honest opinion about the roads, this is what I was looking for. I'm still on the fence about the roads, I may try redoing them one more time, but I may scrap them all together.

Wow!

Well? What else can a mere mortal say?

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow!

Well? What else can a mere mortal say?
    Thank's Mouse.

Wow, until now I had only seen this map on my phone, but now that I look at it on my computer screen I'm utterly amazed! The labels, relief, icons, colored, everything about this map is truly incredible!

-Dan

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Wow, until now I had only seen this map on my phone, but now that I look at it on my computer screen I'm utterly amazed! The labels, relief, icons, colored, everything about this map is truly incredible!

-Dan
    Thank's Daniel, I'm so glad you like it.

Guild Expert

It’s done! I’m sure I could do more, but for now I’m happy to say that this is my very first finished map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zseptember chalenge finished.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	6.82 MB 
ID:	87962

Disregard the attached thumbnails one, it has rivers, and roads above some text, but I don't know how to remove the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
ID:	87960  
    Last edited by kacey; 09-27-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It’s done! I’m sure I could do more, but for now I’m happy to say that this is my very first finished map.
    Congratulations! As to doing more, I think that's always true. Let me paraphrase the words of my first critical theory professor, a delightful Scottish gentleman who tended to answer questions with paragraphs:
    "A good piece of work is never completed, only abandoned at a reasonably coherent point."

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Expert

I posted the wrong image in my last post, then tried to fix it, but the thumbnail scrapper is picking up the wrong one so I'm just going to repost the correct one... Sorry about that. I hope this fixes things... Now it's done.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	944 
ID:	87963

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast