Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: Gymnopus P

Great looking start, Mouse!
    I almost tried something with that palette, but I didn't. I'm glad you chose it for your map. Looking forward to seeing where you take it!

Thanks Chashio, though after seeing your work of art I'm beginning to find my own attempt more than just a little amusing! LOL
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-24-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks Chashio, though after seeing your work of art I'm beginning to find my own attempt more than just a little amusing! LOL
    All art is different... I like yours. And I like that you enjoy challenging yourself to figure out how to do so many wonderful things with one tool/program. I think it's fabulous and clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    All art is different... I like yours. And I like that you enjoy challenging yourself to figure out how to do so many wonderful things with one tool/program. I think it's fabulous and clever.

That's very kind of you to say so

I stick with CC3 because I like the way it works - and I haven't found any real limitations just yet (although that probably reflects the fact that my imagination and artistic skills are more of a limitation than the software

Its nearly 5 am again, but at least I've got all the base colours sorted out now, and I've moved onto the line shading. Please note - I've not done anything like this before, so it may look a bit rough!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	445.5 KB 
ID:	87891

This looks awesome, the highlights on the mountains are really nice and work well with the color palette. Great start.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    This looks awesome, the highlights on the mountains are really nice and work well with the color palette. Great start.
    Thanks Snodsy

I'm currently working on a couple of bespoke textures, and aiming if possible to mix the colours only by dithering them together - a bit like what Redrobes did for his Challenge map, but with a bit of texture thrown in for good measure.

This one is pink on pink grass/vegetation:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pink on pink grass.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	6.15 MB 
ID:	87903

Its not terribly good, but its good enough for the scale its going to be used at

Blog Entries

When I dithered my textures they looked pretty rough but when I layered them up it looked better. I dont know if that is going to help but when I had a grass texture and forced its colour palette then it came out looking nothing like grass any more. So its not all that surprising if its not terribly good.

Thanks Redrobes.

I used Genetica to make this from scratch, but I'm still only learning how to make a good one, and time is pretty short.

I'm hoping it will look ok on the distant hills at a pretty small scale and heavily edge faded (I think that's 'feathered' in PS speak) into the base colour, which is the darker pink of the two.

Of course, I've just realised that edge fading the texture will mean that I am mixing the paler pink with the darker pink, but well... the intention was there! LOL

Blog Entries

I am sure it will look ok in context - I think thats the beauty of the challenge. If you have to make a seamless texture and genetica doesnt work for you then I have my trusted technique to make a texture seamless.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1373

I think it should work for limited palettes as well.

I think the real problem here is shortage of time, and my being a bit of a newbie with Genetica. Once I figure out how to import photographs of the real world I'll be doing very nicely, but I just don't have the time to learn all the ins and outs of a new tool right at this moment - not for this map, anyway.

I'll see about creating some new textures your way when I'm done with this.

Thanks Redrobes

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast