Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: Gymnopus P

Now that I only really have one full day left (today being full of real life commitments), for better or worse I have to tell myself that the right hand side of the river is done.

C&C welcome

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	87992

Guild Expert

WOW! Mouse! All hail the master of CC3. This is impressive considering the software you're using...Good job.

Thanks Kacey - though I've already seen plenty of CC3 maps that are far better than this one

There's still a big question mark in my mind as to whether I will actually finish it in time, but I'll give it my best shot.

My car wouldn't start, so I haven't been able to go and do my duties. But the positive upshot is that today has been reprieved, and I can carry on working on the map.

This is just a process shot (and not to be taken as a new WIP)

Its just for anyone curious about the way I visualize the scene just a few moments before I set about drawing it properly. Its a screen shot of a few white lines on the previously blank orange space to the left of the map, showing where I see the mountains and forest when I look at the picture in my head. Whether the finished item will look anything like this, remains to be seen. Another interesting experiment

Name:	Process 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	660.3 KB 
ID:	88007
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-28-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Sigh. So beautiful

Your visualization technique is much cleaner than mine, haha. I'm really loving where this is going.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

This is so fantastic Sue! I love that you are drawing it all by hand, not using any pre made symbols, just color swatches. I've never seen anyone use the freehand drawing tool this way. Considering how difficult I have always found it, this is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Sigh. So beautiful

Your visualization technique is much cleaner than mine, haha. I'm really loving where this is going.
    Aw - thanks Chashio

I wouldn't say there was anything at all wrong with your visualisation. Its a whole lot more complex than my simple (and rather straight) little valley - a whole continent more complex. I'm not sure I could hold all of that information in my head at one time - so hats of to you, rather

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    This is so fantastic Sue! I love that you are drawing it all by hand, not using any pre made symbols, just color swatches. I've never seen anyone use the freehand drawing tool this way. Considering how difficult I have always found it, this is amazing!
    Thanks Tonnichiwa

You would be surprised how quickly a scene develops and takes on a life of its own if all you do is draw a few white lines that are sort of in the right general places. I use the crosshairs as if they are the point at which an imaginary ball is positioned on the surface of the landscape in my head, and then just let it roll down the slope...

I use a mouse, by the way. I don't have a tablet - hence the jiggly nature of the white lines... but jiggles are more natural when you get down to organic features like forests. You should see the state of my lovely oak desk where I can't be dealing with the confines of a mouse pad. Its scratched to h**l. Good job I bought it, and don't have to answer to anyone else about the state that its in.

If I am master of anything, it is the sheet effects. I know how to do almost anything with them, to the point where I can usually come up with a solution to mimic the visual appearance of the very few things they can't do. "Edge Fade Inner" is your very best friend

Whether its panic, or not, I've made a few colour changes to tone down the scenery around the map part of the image (less orange v purple in the rocks).

Haven't finished the right hand side yet, but I'm still havering over colour changes.

Be as sharp as you like

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	09.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	88024
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-29-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Hey Mouse !!!!!

Incredible work !!!!

Specially when you know how CC3+ works !!!!

The scenery is really vibrant, and all the relief is really alive !

I don't know how you are with the timing, but if you've got the time, you might add a little bit of shadow around the forest ? Just to increase the elevation of the trees ?
    It's just an idea...

Otherwise, it's just a really great scenery !

Thanks Jo

Regardless of the software, its important to me that I make a good job of this map. Neyjour is my friend, and I would like to honour her tremendous power of creativity. Other than that, I would never have dreamed of taking part in a Challenge that was already so full of grade A world class artists! LOL

The trees are a bit wishy-washy. Its a home made amateur texture. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for tipping me off

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast