Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: Gymnopus P

Default September 2016 Challenge: Gymnopus P

I've been silently watching everyone taking part in this Challenge for ages, and wishing there was a way I could join in, but now I think I've found it.

So here it is - the first draft - with just 6 days to go

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge September 2016.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	679.9 KB 
ID:	87861

Hey Mouse!!! I LOVE the color pallet you chose!

This reminds me of a California sunset at the beach! I can't wait to see where it.goes!!!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Thanks Storm

I'm going for a very unconventional CC3 map style here, so I would say my chances of coming hilariously unstuck are about 90%, but I'm game

These are the first few sheets of block colour - to be refined by many further Sheets of line drawing that will (hopefully) blend the colours and produce some semblance of shading. I've been up for nearly 36 hrs with this particular bee in my bonnet, so there will now be a short delay before the third draft

When I have slept some I will re-examine the main Challenge thread to work out if the blending of the darker pink with the paler pink in the sky is within the rules... unless some kind person would be good enough to leave a note just saying yes or no while I have a well earned snooze.

Thanks

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	87869

Guild Expert

Welcome to the challenge Mouse! How are you doing this in cc3 that's crazy! I hope you get time to finish, I'm really interested to see what you do with this, looks good so far. As far as I understand mixing colours is totally OK, and so is adding black, and white to the colours to change there value, and I hope I'm right because most of mine is made of mixed colours, and black, and white texture layers. I still can't beleive you've done this in cc3, you never seas to amaze, good job so far.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    ...with just 6 days to go
    Good luck with it Mouse! You've made a good start with such an interesting palette choice!

And don't worry, I'll be rushing at the end with you! Only managed a day on mine so far, and won't be back until 2 days before the end! But I guess we just like making the challenge harder for ourselves!

Yay! Great to see you joining in, Mouse. You've chosen a beautiful colour palette and I'm interested to see where you go with it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wow ! Excellent job ! That's a real challenge... and with CC3 ?!?

I'm really eager to see what you can do with this software and this sketch !

For now, it's coming really good : the ambiance is well established

And from my point of view, and fellowing what I've read, your completely in the rules of the challenge !

Keep up the good work !

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Welcome to the challenge Mouse! How are you doing this in cc3 that's crazy! I hope you get time to finish, I'm really interested to see what you do with this, looks good so far. As far as I understand mixing colours is totally OK, and so is adding black, and white to the colours to change there value, and I hope I'm right because most of mine is made of mixed colours, and black, and white texture layers. I still can't beleive you've done this in cc3, you never seas to amaze, good job so far.
    Thank you Kacey

If anything I am more likely to be limited by the bounds of my own imagination before I ever reach the limit with CC3. The Sheet effects available to me allow me to do most of what PS and Gimp can do - just using different techniques, that's all. There are plusses and minuses - and as far as I can tell from my experience of using Corel Photopaint for many years, these balance each other out in the end. Some of the things that you might take hours to sort out are done in seconds with CC3, while some of the things that you can do at the touch of a button and almost automatically will conversely take me several hours and a great deal of head scratching to sort out.

Well... I can mix colours, and use black and white... hmmmn. Thanks for the information. I think I will take this as far as it will go without doing too much of that. I had already planned it in my head using only the available colours, and spent about 6 hours deeply considering which of the palettes I could reasonably work with on that very basis - the closest I've ever come to seriously deep meditation! I just hope I've chosen the right one!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Good luck with it Mouse! You've made a good start with such an interesting palette choice!

And don't worry, I'll be rushing at the end with you! Only managed a day on mine so far, and won't be back until 2 days before the end! But I guess we just like making the challenge harder for ourselves!
    Thanks ...and Wow! That's cutting it a bit fine! I like to see it as an adventure, rather than a race, but the time limit certainly adds to the adrenaline! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Yay! Great to see you joining in, Mouse. You've chosen a beautiful colour palette and I'm interested to see where you go with it.
    Aw, Thanks ChickPea

I'm equally interested to see where everyone else goes with this theme - in particular yourself, since you are (I think) the only other person in this Challenge using vector based software!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wow ! Excellent job ! That's a real challenge... and with CC3 ?!?

I'm really eager to see what you can do with this software and this sketch !

For now, it's coming really good : the ambiance is well established

And from my point of view, and fellowing what I've read, your completely in the rules of the challenge !

Keep up the good work !
    Hey Jo

I've been thinking my way through this since the beginning of the Challenge. What looks fairly conventional right now is about to become something totally strange, since most of the detail will be added in different coloured lines of different gauges and with different effects applied to them. The Sheet structure is going to be quite a mess by the time I've finished due to the haste with which I must work in the limited time, but I've plenty of experience in dealing with over a hundred sheets from that city map I've been working on over the last 2 months! LOL

@ Everyone - thanks for your kind words and support. I will be dropping in on your threads when I get a chance. Good luck to you all
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-24-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Oh yes - I forgot the back story...

I have loved Neyjour's idea since it was first suggested a few months back, so when it became the theme for the current Challenge the only thing holding me back was whether or not I could do this with CC3. Once I realised the solution was as simple as making 'textures' that were just the basic colours of the palette and using them to fill areas of the map and draw coloured lines, my imagination took flight, and the world of Gymnopus P was born.

Gymnopus is a planet in a solar system very similar to our own, but which plays host to multiple habitable planets. Since Gymnopus has never been accurately charted, and the only crude record that exists of its chemical composition, geomorphology and organic compliment is as a result of the scans carried out by a lost probe shortly before it crashed on one of Gymnopus's moons, this map is an artists impression of the probable appearance of one of the topographical formations found in the northern hemisphere that was scanned by the probe in the last few seconds before the crash.

The atmosphere is known to be pink, due to the large amount of dust stirred up by violent equatorial storms.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast