Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sept/Oct 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Baba Yaga's Hut.

Thank you snodsy for feedback and help, it is a little bit too late as i already finished water, nevertheless, i am very grateful.

I haven't touched water when i uploaded that wip. I started to work on water after that and it was a very tricky part. I usually draw everything myself. I don't like using any filters that do job instead of me. If i do that, i won't learn anyrhing new and my goal is to actually learn how to draw from scratch by myself.

So the problem with water was that in this particular image, it's a shallow swamp-ish water, that stands still rather then flows. I had difficulties how should sell that impression, because if you look at real water that doesn't move it's a clear reflection of sky (and land depend on perspective). After many fail attempts i decided to draw the usuall shore waves and/or flowing waves, but somehow they ddn't fit (as i suspected).
    So, i went back to google image for reference and instead of looking at ponds and lakes i search for a calm sea. The very gentle ripples wasn't convincing at first but i tried them and i think it looked good enough. I used render clouds - as you mentioned snodsy - and then apply ocean ripple to that. Little tweaks with blend options and opacitiy and i got rather satisfying result. BUT because i dont like filters i compromised and did my "render clouds" by myself tapping like a crazy on my tablet with white and black . Then and used only one filter ocean ripple.

You are right about rocks. I added some additional colour to them, make them little darker and darkened shadows. But there is something ultimately wrong with them from the start. I think i made them too hasty from the beginning and they need redoing. I don't have the spirit though, every image has to have some scars

I did apply one thing you advised snodsy. I drew addidtional land going under water. It is subtle but looks good. Thanks for that!

Ok, now the rest comes in points.
    1. I deepened some land shadows (especially near water edge) and shadows cast by objects.
    2. Added extra shadow to bushes.
    3. Added bright strokes to land which should represent grass (or something ), same goes to trees.
    4. I changed the land colour, adding a bit of greenish to it and colour of twisted tree, bringing saturation little up.
    5. Added moss to the tree base and to roof to make it looks like it's old.
    6. Added smoke/steam going from chimney.
    7. Lastly i changed the colour od twisted tree leaves to flashy willow green (i don't know if that is the real colour name, english is not my native, correct me if am i wrong here), and i added subtle shadow to them. It really makes the tree stands out, as this is the main thing in map.

Now, the leaves... They don't look natural, but it has it's explanation. Baba Yaga is an evil bitc... and she uses some magic to suck up life aroud her. That is why the closest trees are half dead. Twisted tree leaves' glow should represent that life is beeing sucked by them. And btw. smoke is actually a steam. Baba Yaga doesn't have fireplace. It is a steam going away from cauldron, where she brew tasty soup from innocent children

So here goes, i guess that piece is finished. I could probably play with it more and add some things, but to be hosent, i am really tired of this one, so i call it DONE.

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baba_yagas_hut.jpg 
Views:	917 
Size:	756.9 KB 
ID:	88022
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-16-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

That new water and smoke effect is fantastic!

It's an absolutely great piece so I hope you're happy with it. The ground looks great now and the colour choices work very well together.

I guess if you do decide to come back to it, a title could be a nice little thing to add perhaps or maybe a border, but they aren't really needed. A good plan to call it done though, I'm always hopeless at knowing when to stop!

Have some rep!

Thanks GLS. Appreciate it.

Untill recently i had problem with unfinished maps, if something was not good enough i stopped and dropped the project. It is a bad habit and i still sometimes give up to it. But i guess it is good to overcome it, because no matter how bad or good your results are, pushing forward makes the difference. Maybe not right now, but in next drawings. After all by drawing maps we are practicing our techniques and learning new things which we can utilize next time.

Also entering challange made me feel like i already have began the race. No matter which place i will be, i have to get to the end, quitting midway (no matter the result) is a shame :/

Truly awesome job, I understand about the filters and all, and I agree it is good to learn to draw the effects you desire. I really played with that on my series of 4 villages. I think you've done a great job and the adds are really nice. I like the texture of the water treatment, but not totally sold on the effect of depth of the water but don't think it distracts from the overall drawing. I'd be interested in seeing a darker shoreline instead of lighter, the islands seem to float above the water? maybe?

I know your done, but maybe a little more moss at the base of the tree going into the roof. and probably more on the back(shady) side of the roof bump out.

There is one bush top left, looks like it's glowing a little under it, I like it, it adds a sense of mystery. Again great job.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    I like the texture of the water treatment, but not totally sold on the effect of depth of the water
    Hmm i think it looks ok as shallow swampy water. I didn't wanted to make it looked deep.

I'd be interested in seeing a darker shoreline instead of lighter, the islands seem to float above the water? maybe?
    You mean that thicker lines will fix that problem ?

I know your done, but maybe a little more moss at the base of the tree going into the roof. and probably more on the back(shady) side of the roof bump out.
    There is still time...2 weeks maybe ? untill end of challange. I need a break. Maybe just before the end i will look into it again. Thank you for feedback.

I would love to give you artistic advice and feedback, but I don't draw so I have no idea how to offer advice.
    However there is 1 kind of feedback I can offer,,, I love this map, you did a great job with it. I will find a way to use it in one of my games!

I like this. I looked at it and to me it felt very 'storybook' which is cool. I hear you about the filters and whatnot. I go back and forth on them but most people can see a filter a mile away so I try to at least use them in a limited way myself. After all, if you can do it all with filters then anyone can do it, right?

Keep up the good work though and thanks for sharing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah, you are right Jaxilon. With filters you can crate amazing effects, and everyone can do it step by step wit tut. although i don't care so much about others more than about me. If feels like i am cheating. It is very personal, because it is strictly connected to my need of learning how to draw, bypassing some difficult parts with already made effects won't help me in future.
    Btw, i don't feel the same about others if they are using filters. I am totally fine with that, and i have seen so many beautiful maps made with filters. I admire those artists too.

Anyway i am glad you like it, and thanks to Bogie too, please do use it in a game if you want.

Have to go back to my older projects now.

Voolf, this is a fantastic map! I absolutely LOVE what you have done with the water! I agree with whoever mentioned the storybook quality! I also like the dimensional shading of the rocks!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Thank you Ladiestorm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast