Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My first attempt in GIMP

Wip My first attempt in GIMP

I did follow a tutorial on YouTube which introduced me to layers and a few other functions, plus I downloaded some brushes and scripts. I'll try to post in the relevant links later.

Anyway my very first attempt was this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map1.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	953.4 KB 
ID:	88909

but I wasn't happy, something didn't look right. I then had another shot by changing the features about a bit:

Name:	Map2.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	830.4 KB 
ID:	88910

before going back to the first one and redoing the rivers, adding some settlement symbols and giving it a bit of a 3D feel:

Name:	Map1.5.1.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	88911

The far North West of the map is intentionally featureless as it's really a bit of an unknown quantity for those who do not live there - the mountains are impassable for reasons that I am yet to explain What I really need to do is add some trackways and get some names on there although I'm still fiddling about with the rivers.

Here's a link to the tutorial video I used - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmOpEETjEo

In the description there are links to the brushes, the script and the parchment. However I used a different parchment layer because I didn't really know what I was doing and being the amateur I am I can't find it again on DeviantArt !! But I intend to track that thing down so I can give the appropriate acknowledgements.

Anyway the map brushes - http://starraven.deviantart.com/art/...shes-198264358
    Layer effect scripts (including the bevel/emboss to get the 3D effects) - http://registry.gimp.org/node/186

I did deviate from the tutorial (is that allowed? ) because the rivers looked a bit flat and lacking in drama. Rivers are, after all, nature's hacksaws, cutting up the landscape and creating boundaries as well as transporting things that fall off other things around the place.

I've started again using the same land shape. I wanted something more 'hand drawn' and with just a 'pen and some paper' so not really much scope for colours although the sea is a washed out ink. The rivers are just tentative at the moment to give me some idea about how transport is going to work and whether they are consistent with the narrative.

How does this compare with the previous efforts?

Name:	Kassandria.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	89081

I've added in a few forests (those bubbly things) and added some place names and place icons:

Name:	Kassandria.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	391.5 KB 
ID:	89128

Guild Expert

This looks pretty good for a first attempt, the mountains are nicely shaped.

Thanks for the feedback kacey. I'm trying different things out and learning a lot about these graphics programs as I go. I have to admit to cheating a bit with the mountains - I stamped some with brushes and then traced over them in a different layer, then hid the original and scribbled the shaded bits I am slowly learning about how things can be represented. I've been having a go at the shading and lighting about a ridge but sometimes I get myself a bit confused where the light is being reflected and where it's being shaded. I still haven't decided how to represent my forests, which are arranged in stands because they'll be undoubtedly managed in this world. I've only been working on this world for about 10 years off and on so I guess a few more weeks deliberating won't harm things

In other news, I have just moved my desk into a different room today and realised that I don't have to leave my seat to access the drinks cabinet

Looks nice! I'm interested to know what's by that lake in the mountains. Some of the forests (especially in the northwest corner) are looking a bit square though.

Thanks My desk is looking a lot better where it is now

I wouldn't be surprised to find a number of supermarket shopping trolleys (carts) in that lake. They seem to be in every body of water, even if they haven't been invented yet

My forests are just sketched in, as are the rivers. I've been trying to put things in different places to see if they make sense. I don't even know if I'm happy with the shape of the land if I'm honest. I drew the lakes in too early, I should have put the mountains in first and put the water in afterwards. It's how we learn though - making mistakes and driving into dead ends.

My settlements need food and water, even the major centres should have their own local supplies. I also need to be able to distribute goods about the place. I'm thinking that forests that are maintained for hunting or construction would have artificial boundaries that would be straighter than wild forests. (I'm assuming you mean the northeast corner BTW) The forests around the mountain area need to be larger as they're a major source of a particular type of wood that inherits certain attributes from a particular type of bedrock that in its eroded form is the silt, sand and clay that makes up the soil that the trees grow in.

I'm going to go back to the drawing board, or at least the GIMP anyway, and start again with a few more outlines.

I'm trying a new land shape to see if that makes more sense to the story. I made my own parchment background this time. I'm still struggling with mountains so I'm just going to stamp and trace them for the time being.

So this is now attempt number 4 or 5

Name:	new kassandria.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	89486

Guild Expert

It's the ever changing map! Are you sure you didn't move you're desk a little too close to that cabinet More importantly I'd like to know how those shopping carts got there, it seems there's quite a few in the water here as well.

Good job on the parchment, I'll be interested to see what world is here next time I check this thread.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast