Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about Patreon

i see that's a pity.
    i was thinking recently about starting my own, but i can not understand how things work there.

It seems like you collect money to reach a goal, but the idea of Patreon is to make monthly income from your patreons by providing certain good. So i dont understand that goal thing, its not a kickstarter.

Second thing is what happen if i upload 2 maps in firts month, second only 1 and next i dont have time to do any. its like people pay every month even if nothing is uploaded?

Maybe you can explain?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I think if you are not consistent in your production you will lose patrons, because they'll say to themselves, "This guy said he'd make at least one map a month here and he isn't doing that." So when you set up your Patreon I think you have to think very carefully about what you are able to do each month and about what things you want to provide your patrons, and you have to be very clear about the monthly peices as well.

By Falconius
    I think if you are not consistent in your production you will lose patrons, because they'll say to themselves, "This guy said he'd make at least one map a month here and he isn't doing that." So when you set up your Patreon I think you have to think very carefully about what you are able to do each month and about what things you want to provide your patrons, and you have to be very clear about the monthly peices as well.
    True enough. I think I've been too ambitious here. I guess it's better received when you're producing many things (each one being not so long to do) than a few bigger things (which are needing a lot of time).... I thought to do a bit of both, but I'm stuck on a big city map for probably too long for this kind of site.

I also think that they are a big difference between patrons who are only waiting for stuffs (and then ask for regularity and quality) and patrons who are first enjoying the idea of supporting and participating to a project (who are then more patient and participative).

Heh I was answering Voolf's question. I think patrons want to feel like they get something back, so you have to produce some sort of consumable content for them, every month. I think things a map maker could offer every month could be things like a set 5 mapmaking stamps a month (like town icons or those beautiful myth drawings things you got featured over there), 1 simple large scale map per month ( a building or small town or encounter map), 1 detailed map every 2-3 months etc. That sort of thing. And you got to figure a time budget for spending doing these things depending on how much you make from the site. Getting started I imagine would be very difficult since you have no base or projected earnings.

Thanks for the answers guys.

It seems like Patreon is more or less full time job. I really like the idea behind it, but it seems like in order to be efficient there and make your patreons stay (gathering new ones) it's rather a time consuming job. As all of you (or most of you) know life is a bitc... and you can't always provide in regular basis.

On the other hand if you make Patreon a priority, still its a gamble, because you dont know if and when you gather enough Patreons to make it worthwile.
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    On the other hand if you make Patreon a priority, still its a gamble, because you dont know if and when you gather enough Patreons to make it worthwile.
    I think that's what keeping me from trying it out. I do have a longterm mapping and worldbuilding project, including short stories and RPG aspects in my mind, but actually throwing my weight (and time) behind that would mean to forego the extra income I have through commissions at the moment. And as you've mentioned, there's no guarantee that your work will actually be appreciated - and getting a Patreon going that'll pay out a couple hundred bucks a month really isn't all that easy. Going by what I've witnessed from a few people who have Patreons (and who really do great stuff) it takes months, if not years to build an audience that end up adding some money into your pocket. And those are the lucky ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    I think that's what keeping me from trying it out.
    I've been seriously debating it for a year or so, myself, and haven't come to a conclusion yet. Good points in this thread.

Just to add something to it, I do know that per-month payment isn't the only option... there is also per-item/artwork, which may fit better for artists who don't do things as regularly. Patrons can set their own monthly cap so that they don't get surprised with a huge payment due if the artist is more prolific with his/her creations than usual, and if nothing is created during a month then they don't get charged at all. So, options to consider.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

That is very interesting. Thanks Chashio. I was looking for something like that. Paying per item is way better option for me. I must look more into that option.
    New Horizons

Support:

After putting much thought into it, i decided to open my Patreon page too.

The problem is i have no clue how to fill the W-8BEN form. Do any of you know some walkthrough? The problem starts from point 9 with the treaty and rate of withholding. I found out that i can find info from the treaty between USA and the country i live in - which is Japan. I did find the treaty, but i have not clue what to put in the blank spots, LOL. On top of that the lawyer language there is just too much for me to dig through...

Also the second question (maybe a bit silly) in the form: "Country of citizenship", should i put Japan (where i live) or Poland (my nationality)?
    Last edited by Voolf; 05-10-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    New Horizons

Support:

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Also the second question (maybe a bit silly) in the form: "Country of citizenship", should i put Japan (where i live) or Poland (my nationality)?
    Good question it's not clear what they want to know for, but I'd error for the country of the passport you hold.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast