Thread: what to put in my mansion of the dammed?

Guild Journeyer

Question what to put in my mansion of the dammed?

I have this project, a old sanatorium that went corrupt and now is a kind of old mansion, with necromancers and undead living in there. the necromancers are scientists, and the undead their experiment.

The thing is, im not sure about how to populate it. i mean, how many rooms, what rooms it would be (library, kitchen, yard, altar, etc). Any suggestions on where i could look for ideas? could you guys share some with me?

Oh wow, this has SO many possibilities!! Is this a story line for a book, or a TTRPG? Either way you have a lot to work with already.

I'm going to brainstorm here, so pardon my barrage of random text

You could go with the number of rooms being something like 13 or 7, where the number represents something integral to your story line. (Mystical/holy numbers, etc) You could throw a morgue room in there since, well....necromancers and all. What about Monks? Would they fit in somehow? Torture dungeon in the basement. Malignant Spirits. Halfling creatures......Half human - half gelatinous slime creature.....etc. Lobotomy room! Famorians? Tieflings? Deitys? oh my! Dragons? You could add a cafeteria area, as sanatoriums would have. Storage closet with a secret door leading to a maze/dungeon etc.

Okay, I think I'm done for now. hahaha....

As far as where to get ideas...I am a huge fan of D&D (sadly I've never had a chance to play but I binge watch other fellow nerds play it on you tube) and there are some great free resources out there. Look into NPC's and characters as well as ideas for backstories. I'd love to know more about your project. Good luck!
    ~ whisper

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by whisper_my_name View Post
    Oh wow, this has SO many possibilities!! Is this a story line for a book, or a TTRPG? Either way you have a lot to work with already.

I'm going to brainstorm here, so pardon my barrage of random text

You could go with the number of rooms being something like 13 or 7, where the number represents something integral to your story line. (Mystical/holy numbers, etc) You could throw a morgue room in there since, well....necromancers and all. What about Monks? Would they fit in somehow? Torture dungeon in the basement. Malignant Spirits. Halfling creatures......Half human - half gelatinous slime creature.....etc. Lobotomy room! Famorians? Tieflings? Deitys? oh my! Dragons? You could add a cafeteria area, as sanatoriums would have. Storage closet with a secret door leading to a maze/dungeon etc.

Okay, I think I'm done for now. hahaha....

As far as where to get ideas...I am a huge fan of D&D (sadly I've never had a chance to play but I binge watch other fellow nerds play it on you tube) and there are some great free resources out there. Look into NPC's and characters as well as ideas for backstories. I'd love to know more about your project. Good luck!
    Great ideas!
    love the cafeteria one
    Maybe a coffee ooze

Since it sounds like a place that people both live and work, I would start with necessities for each activity.

For starters, two separate wings, or possibly even whole buildings, would make a lot of sense. Generally speaking, you probably want to keep the walking dead from losing body parts in your food stores. Talk about unsafe food prep!

In the necromancer side, I imagine they have the usual sorts of things. Bedrooms. Bathrooms. Kitchens. Also maybe a lot of libraries, or warehouses of magical supplies on lock down. A moat or gatehouse might be a good idea, to keep pesky adventurers, or their own creations, from rummaging around.

In the undead side of things, a secret tunnel for bringing in corpses might be necessary. Back when it was taboo to perform autopsies on people, universities used to ferry cadavers in through secret tunnels and waterways. The bodies were bought from grave robbers and undertakers.

For a general layout, a small university with dorms is probably a good launching point.