Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nov / Dec 2016 Lite Challenge - Dyson's Floating Isles

Wip Nov / Dec 2016 Lite Challenge - Dyson's Floating Isles

Damn you people.

I was quite happily drawing my own things and ignoring the challenges but then I got suckered in to posting on the Guild forums again by Miska's Mapvember Challenge, and after that hard-core push, I've found myself feeling like I need more of these challenges to up my game.

So I'm starting on the current "Lite" Challenge. Did I mention my distaste for the word Lite? It's like Thru... one of those "words" that just bugs me.

So, since I'm wrangling with new goals, I might as well also start by breaking the first rule of Dyson Cartography... pencil roughing before I ink.

Anytime I work in isometrics I pretty much have to do this because the format is a lot more unforgiving than top-down. Also, I'm just not confident enough with my illustration style to go straight to ink.

### LATEST WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161203_161221-01.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	89895
    Last edited by Dyson Logos; 12-03-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

I really like your style and I can't wait to see to finished map. There seems to be something wrong though with the perspective on the lake/body of water.

On problem is using an isometric projection instead of perspective. But I agree and have added some indications of the land being lower at that point. I'll post a new WIP soon.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Wip

Work in progress shot #2 of the Skyrealms isometric view.

I'm not sold on how the land reaches around the corner of the corner castle, but it is inked now, so I'm going to have to live with it.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161203_183922-01.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	901.1 KB 
ID:	89910
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Wip

And here's where I'm leaving this for tonight so I can read some sci-fi (The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin) and rest up after a very long night last night.

• more depth to the large island
    • a bit more detail around the overlap between the grass and the far-left structure
    • new central structure
    • mountain edge at right side of large island
    • crystal outcropping (this is essential to Jorune's skyrealms - the hardened crystals repel themselves from the liquid magma-like crystals in the planet below, which is why the skyrealms float in the sky)
    • more detail to the central hill (still not sure exactly how I'm going to make this work...)
    • tried to make the lake on the small island seem to be more in a depression than just sitting there

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	20161203_222701-01.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	89912
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Guild Apprentice

welcome to the challenge. For fearing your illustration skills, I would say it looks quite good. Out of curiosity, self taught, formal instruction, tutorials, some combination?
    "I've heard that before, from the thing I said just now" Stephen Hughes

Purely self taught through trial and error - not even any tutorials. I'm a sales and marketing guy by training.

You can follow the progress of my work through the last 7 years via my blog's maps really...
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Guild Expert

This looks really good so far, I really like the way you've done the edges at the bottom.

Very good start, I'm waiting for the finished map!!

While I rarely ever offer advice to people who draw by hand, I had an idea that if you added some small hills or rocks to elevate the lower right side of the island it wouldn't look like the lake is ready to just run off the side. Feel free to ignore this advice as I have no ability or knowledge with this type of drawing, I just thought it might help a little.

Name:	floating island33.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	89913

Welcome to the Challenge Dyson, looking forward to seeing this develop!
    Last edited by Bogie; 12-04-2016 at 01:18 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast