Thread: First Map (coastal map by an artistically challenged)

Guild Novice

Map First Map (coastal map by an artistically challenged)

Here is my first ever map.
    Done using this great tutorial : Hand Drawn Mapping (For the Artistically Challenged)

Tools are GIMP and Mouse. And also a lot of laziness and lack of experience (So much of it ).
    Not perfect (far from it ) but it looks good enough to motivate me to make more.

It doesn't represent anything specific, just random lines for coast and river.
    I also skipped the step to add name on things, because .. well ... laziness I guess.
    Done in 3-4 hours (during work, but keep it a secret).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First map.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	7.01 MB 
ID:	90229

Hey again!

That tutorial's a great starting point (I used it myself a while back). My initial impression is that it would have been nice to include a few labels, a compass and a border to give it a more finished appearance, but I can appreciate that you're only practising at the moment.

There are a couple of small issues with your tree and mountain brushes. You've got trees, mountains & city/building icons on top of your rivers (or maybe it's the other way around!) Either way, it would look better if the rivers didn't dissect the landmarks. Also, I feel your mountain area is very 'busy'. I feel that there are too many lines and it's a bit of a jumble, to be honest. I'm not certain but I think it might be the brush you're using? I feel this whole area would be better with fewer mountains spread out a little more to give some space.

I don't want to discourage you, as I think a few small tweaks and a nice border would make this a great map, and it's a more than decent first effort. Looking forward to seeing more from you!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"