Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dec 16/Jan 17 Lite Map Challenge: Evil Lair of Evil

I quite like the weirdness of the negative, but you would have to do quite a lot of work to it to stop it looking like... well... a negative. Its the pale lines that give it away. How about shifting the hues of the shading and colour layers and leaving the paper and lines as they are, or a variation on that idea?

I hope that makes sense

At the moment the normal map is still winning out over the negative, for me.

I rather like the negative version, mostly because I really like those colours. It's got a cartoonish, almost Halloween-ish style that's actually quite fitting for the evil lair theme. I can see that it may not appeal to everyone, though.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Who, impressive !
    I love both but perhaps more the normal version. In the negative one the shelves may appear a bit floating (in contrats to the dark wall) ? Jut my opinion
    Love the lavis style too !

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Tremendous work! I love the side view, all the details… it's got greatness all over. I really like that my concept of "map" has been bent, spindled, stretched, and exploded by the guild, and it's work like this that does it.

cheers,
    Meshon

There are some good points and some not so good to the reversed colors version, but over-all, it really sets the right mood!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like the negative version! Love the colors.

And spiders & bigger spiders? No. Just no.

Guild Novice

heh Love it. Attach some flaps so you don't see the danger until too late and you've a game board or story-flap book. Hmm can I use it to scare the grandkids so they stop coming by to eat all my cookies?

Thank you for the comments! In the end I've decided to go with the inverted version, since I looked more evil, and as a whole I feel it stands out more.

I've fixed the outlines of the paper, made some of the transitions smoother, covered up some bits which weren't problematic until I inverted things, did some small spot fixing, balanced colours and contrast where necessary, added a drop shadow and a couple of other small things. I think it's pretty much done!

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evil-Lair-map4.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	900.3 KB 
ID:	91175
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-17-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Nice job Poison! The map is so much fun to study and I love the feel of the dark paper on black wood with all the details standing out in bright colors. It just fits the flavor of the piece so well. Gave me many chuckles, perusing.

This is wonderful I love the inverse/negative effect, it really gives the whole piece a sinister edge before you even get to the labels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast