Thread: Searching for a cartographer

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Blog Entries

Default Searching for a cartographer

first of all, I want to say I am impressed by the work all you people do it is simply amazing.
    Myself I am creating a new world reading short stories until I finish my first novella but I would like to use as an rpg campaign setting so maps are essential
    I tried to find map making apps but I don't have this much time working writing reading and bringing up my two-month-old son is more than enough
    for the time being, I am using old honest ms paint but the maps seem a bit vague!!!
    all I ask is if someone is interested in helping me design some maps for my world
    details will be discussed separately.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hi there, Viel Nast, and welcome to the Cartographers' Guild!

If you interested in commissioning a map/maps, please make a post in the Mapmaking Requests Forum, following this template here:

[Compulsory] Commission

Please select a prefix [Paid], [Unpaid], [Paid?] or [other] from the drop down menu when composing your post.

• Unpaid: saying 'please' rather than just demanding a map usually gets a better response. Also note that if you plan to make money from the map, like using it in a book or game that will be published you should expect to pay for the work.
    • Paid: please provide details on the amount and method of payment (e.g. I am happy to pay $X for the map via Paypal) or how to contact you to discuss rates (e.g. please send me a Private Message to discuss rates).
    •Paid?: might mean that you may make payment depending on the quality of the work or if the map is for a commercial project and payment is dependent on the project making sales.
    •Other: is for anything else.

Subject

•[I attach a scan of a rough sketch of the map I had in mind]
    •[A brief verbal description e.g. - This will be a world map of three continents on an earthsized planet or this will be a map of a large coastal city]
    •The scale of the map will be approximately X miles to the inch.

Style

•[I am looking for a map in the following style - insert hyperlink of style of map required.]
    •[I am looking for a (describe style e.g. greyscale, photorealistic, similar to the maps on page x of the DM's guide etc]

Quality & Size

•[Professional / semi professional]
    •[Required for print / web]
    •[Dimensions of map: x inches by y inches (or pixels)]
    •[Raster / Vector]

Time Constraints

What time limits (if any) are you working to?

Copyright

- (as simple or complex as you need. If you want something watertight consult a lawyer, the suggestions below are just for illustrative purposes and may not provide the protection you require).
    Please note that in order to use the map in any publication you'll need reproduction rights or copyright to the map. However for most uses, commercial and non-commercial, reproduction rights are enough. If you ask for full copyright to the map you should normally expect to pay more for it. (read more about copyright here). Sometimes you only want rights for a single use of the map and sometimes you'd like to have rights to use it again and again, so what it may be used for and for how long should be considered.
    •I would like reproduction rights to the map
    •I would like copyright of the map
    •The artist will retain copyright of the map
    •I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Tip: *** You are unlikely to get a cartographer to make your map if you want it done for free but also want to have copyright of the image ***

Contact Details

Please note that as an anti-spam measure you need to have 5 posts on the board before you can send or receive Private Messages on this bbs. If you post an e-mail address you might want to take some precautions against evil, e-mail address harvesting spambots.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Hi there, Viel Nast, and welcome to the Cartographers' Guild!

If you interested in commissioning a map/maps, please make a post in the Mapmaking Requests Forum, following this template here:

[Compulsory] Commission

Please select a prefix [Paid], [Unpaid], [Paid?] or [other] from the drop down menu when composing your post.

• Unpaid: saying 'please' rather than just demanding a map usually gets a better response. Also note that if you plan to make money from the map, like using it in a book or game that will be published you should expect to pay for the work.
    • Paid: please provide details on the amount and method of payment (e.g. I am happy to pay $X for the map via Paypal) or how to contact you to discuss rates (e.g. please send me a Private Message to discuss rates).
    •Paid?: might mean that you may make payment depending on the quality of the work or if the map is for a commercial project and payment is dependent on the project making sales.
    •Other: is for anything else.

Subject

•[I attach a scan of a rough sketch of the map I had in mind]
    •[A brief verbal description e.g. - This will be a world map of three continents on an earthsized planet or this will be a map of a large coastal city]
    •The scale of the map will be approximately X miles to the inch.

Style

•[I am looking for a map in the following style - insert hyperlink of style of map required.]
    •[I am looking for a (describe style e.g. greyscale, photorealistic, similar to the maps on page x of the DM's guide etc]

Quality & Size

•[Professional / semi professional]
    •[Required for print / web]
    •[Dimensions of map: x inches by y inches (or pixels)]
    •[Raster / Vector]

Time Constraints

What time limits (if any) are you working to?

Copyright

- (as simple or complex as you need. If you want something watertight consult a lawyer, the suggestions below are just for illustrative purposes and may not provide the protection you require).
    Please note that in order to use the map in any publication you'll need reproduction rights or copyright to the map. However for most uses, commercial and non-commercial, reproduction rights are enough. If you ask for full copyright to the map you should normally expect to pay more for it. (read more about copyright here). Sometimes you only want rights for a single use of the map and sometimes you'd like to have rights to use it again and again, so what it may be used for and for how long should be considered.
    •I would like reproduction rights to the map
    •I would like copyright of the map
    •The artist will retain copyright of the map
    •I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Tip: *** You are unlikely to get a cartographer to make your map if you want it done for free but also want to have copyright of the image ***

Contact Details

Please note that as an anti-spam measure you need to have 5 posts on the board before you can send or receive Private Messages on this bbs. If you post an e-mail address you might want to take some precautions against evil, e-mail address harvesting spambots.
    ok thanks there are many details i need to consider but i will post in the appropriate subforum and see how it goes