Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Voolf's miscellaneous art

I think you've pretty much nailed the colours, especially in that second crop. I don't really see a need to change it. I can imagine that the barren area looks a bit flat to you, especially considering you've probably spend a good amount of time staring at it. However, to my eyes, it looks just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Maybe it is due to the parchment being darker.
    That can really affect how colors look on a background.
    As an example, many of mine would look wrong if I change the background color.
    That's due to them being multiply layers.
    Yes, parchment affect the colours and "evevation" of the land made by shade. I tried to edit it so it does not break some elements of the map.
    I *think* the map looks good just with the parchemnt, but when i add colours some areas are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Try a second fractionally more purply deep water colour. Maybe the shallow could then be edged towards aqua (closer to the green of the land), for purple-green harmony.

Colours aren't the easiest things to play with. Sometimes I google 'green paintings', 'blue paintings', colourful paintings, or something like that - steal colour ideas from other people's work. You could try that? Remember also that if you happen to like a painting you see for its colours, the balance is just as important. For example, if you find a glorious blue painting with a small amount of yellowish orange in it, the colours won't look any good used in an artwork where the proportion of those colours is different - where there is the same amount of both, or more of the yellowish orange than the blue.

You could even use that second extract to do an image search for similar images - see what you can find that is almost but not quite the same colour balance. Sometimes things can look wrong but only be very slightly 'off'.

I still really like that second sample.
    Thanks Mouse. The water does affect the whole thing as you said, but i can deal with it. Problem is, with those closer regional maps with a lot of mountains i have hard time to actucually shade some parts of the land and have no idea what colour i shold pick for it. It just doesnt look good.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    I think you've pretty much nailed the colours, especially in that second crop. I don't really see a need to change it. I can imagine that the barren area looks a bit flat to you, especially considering you've probably spend a good amount of time staring at it. However, to my eyes, it looks just fine.
    Thanks Daniel. The two crops are actually only ones i felt confident enough to post as "almost" done. The problem is with the rest of the map, unfortunately :/

I marked the upper part which i have the most problems with, but honestly when i look at whole map, it just looks off. Don't mind the forests, they need to be redone too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknow_wip_v1.8_Zatwarnicki_Rafal.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	108415
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Voolf - I adore your maps. They are always beautiful to me no matter what colour they are, so I hope you won't mind...

I could hear what I thought was despair in your written 'voice', so I tried something with the last map you uploaded to see if I could help in any way. What follows is a series of 3 operations I tried for you. I went deliberately too far each time because I don't believe you actually need to change it this much, and please bear in mind that these are operations carried out on the whole map in one layer.

First, I added more magenta and yellow to your map - the whole thing

Name:	1 Magenta and Yellow.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	108439

Then, I managed to select just the sea and I turned it several shades more purple around the colour wheel.

Name:	2 Purple sea.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	108440

Finally, I reversed the selection to just the land and decreased the brightness and increased the contrast.

Name:	3 Land Brightness and Contrast.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	108441

I am not saying that this is what it should look like. Indeed, these are not the colours we normally associate with your work. I am just trying to help you see that colour is not your enemy. Most drawings would never survive this kind of mutilation, but your drawings are so beautiful and incredibly well balanced, tonally speaking, that it seems impossible to destroy them
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-14-2018 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I am not saying that this is what it should look like. Indeed, these are not the colours we normally associate with your work. I am just trying to help you see that colour is not your enemy. Most drawings would never survive this kind of mutilation, but your drawings are so beautiful and incredibly well balanced, tonally speaking, that it seems impossible to destroy them
    You are being too kind, but i will take that leap of faith to believe blindly what you have said and just go with it. Thank you for the experiments. I appreciate you testing. I may be too harsh on myself...
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

LOL!

Voolf! You are ALWAYS being too harsh on yourself.

Lets put it this way. If the colours were not already there, painted there by you, then my experiments would have failed, because all I have done is mess around with the balance tone and contrast.

The colours are already there. You put them there yourself
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-14-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Few weeks ago i made a B&W dungeon and because it was warmly received by many, i decided to make another one.

Wip dungeon without a name yet.

Name:	nowy dun_wip_1.2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	357.0 KB 
ID:	109149

I am also working on a new commission. Continental map for roleplay game. It is gonna be in my usual style.

Some crops

Name:	draft v1.3.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	109150 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft v1.5.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	109151
    Last edited by Voolf; 08-03-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    New Horizons

Support:

Nice ones !

I have been posting some latest wip crops over the twitter recently, but forgot i had this miscellaneous thread here too

This will be a regional map. Just a personal project to keep myself busy and try new things.

Name:	NaF_v1.1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	114399 > Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NaF_v1.2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	662.1 KB 
ID:	114400 > Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NaF_v1.3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	114401
    New Horizons

Support:

Really nice but I'm a bit sad you buried Ilanthar in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Really nice but I'm a bit sad you buried Ilanthar in the desert
    Muahahaha..... You are next on my list
    New Horizons

Support:

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast