Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Sunset Coast and The Middling Realms

Map The Sunset Coast and The Middling Realms

During November 2016 I was lucky enough to be chosen by an Australian author, S.E. Boleyn, to draw three maps for an upcoming series of novels.

The setting is a renaissance era dark-low fantasy world where a new continent has been discovered in the west.

Here are the three maps.

Working with Stefan was a blast ! Very driven by his work and yet completely open to propositions. The communication was top notch and I’m pretty proud of the end results. He made me a little gift at the end of the job as he asked me to add something personal in the form of a settlement on the third map. That’s why the name of my wife, Olivia, appears on the coast of the main continent. For this, huge thanks to Stefan Another treat, you can look at maps size 6x9 inches at 300dpi.

I was also very lucky ro work alongside Daniel Hasenbos on these maps as he has been commissioned to draw the same three maps in a slightly different fashion.

In the word of the great Max « feel free to rate, rep or run away ». I’d add critic of course

© S.E. Boleyn 2016 - All rights reserved

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map1 printsize 300 dpi.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	92295 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map2 printsize 300 dpi.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	92296 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map3 printsize 300 dpi.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	92297

EDIT : I made a little correction on the maps. Now, they're uploaded at the best quality possible. Maybe not much of a difference but still, it's done !
    Last edited by ThomasR; 02-05-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Oh my! We're going to lose you forever to all the authors under the sun now that you have done these. They are just going to eat you up! These maps are scrumptious

Wow, those are beautiful Thom!

I dont like the forest 'outline' created from single trees, but that is just personal preference. The forests on the first map are exellent.
    Overall superb maps. Congraz on those, and so lucky to have work with such a nice client (Olivia settement).

Btw. Did you draw illustrations on first map by yourself ?
    Last edited by Voolf; 02-02-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

These are fantastic, Thomrey! Clean, well-labelled, everything works so well. I think in particular I love the way that you've used the border work, illustrations and use of rhumbs to really bring everything together!

Your maps are absolutely beautiful Thomas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh my! We're going to lose you forever to all the authors under the sun now that you have done these. They are just going to eat you up! These maps are scrumptious
    Thanks a lot Mouse, let's hope you're right ! And do not worry, doing maps for myself is too much fun for me to stop

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Wow, those are beautiful Thom!

I dont like the forest 'outline' created from single trees, but that is just personal preference. The forests on the first map are exellent.
    Overall superb maps. Congraz on those, and so lucky to have work with such a nice client (Olivia settement).

Btw. Did you draw illustrations on first map by yourself ?
    Thanks Voolf! I agree with you on the forests for map 2 and 3. I loved the end result of the jungle but the client decides. Let's say I failed to convince him. And you're right, it was very nice working with him. I drew the illustrations and given my drawing skills, it was no small feat !

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    These are fantastic, Thomrey! Clean, well-labelled, everything works so well. I think in particular I love the way that you've used the border work, illustrations and use of rhumbs to really bring everything together!
    Thanks GLS ! I pretty satisfied by my first use of rhumb lines.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Your maps are absolutely beautiful Thomas!
    Thanks Daniel ! Yours are amazing !

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice set of maps Thomas ! Depending o the print size, some labels might be hard to read though.

Great work on these as well! Wonderful layout overall. I do agree with Voolf on the forests, but if that was the client's call, there's precious little one can do. It's interesting to look at both yours and Daniel's versions back-to-back.

Will rep if I can!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

These look great Thomas.
    I'll agree with Max, as that is one thing you have to watch with for print work.
    That aside, these are going to look wonderful in the book.
    You'll have to post some 'in print' pics once you have a copy of it.
    Also easily repped.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice set of maps Thomas ! Depending o the print size, some labels might be hard to read though.
    Thanks Max ! The print size is the one of the file I posted 6x9 inches. You're right about the labels. In some places, I doubled the white outer glow but the second map for example is really packed with labels. The client and I both did some printing tests and reworked many labels, he seemed pleased with the result but I guess next time I'll have to erase partially the linework under the labels to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Great work on these as well! Wonderful layout overall. I do agree with Voolf on the forests, but if that was the client's call, there's precious little one can do. It's interesting to look at both yours and Daniel's versions back-to-back.

Will rep if I can!
    Thanks Kelleri ! It was fun comparing both maps. For the second one, I even worked from Daniel's. It wasn't easy as it left me less freedom but it was educational

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    These look great Thomas.
    I'll agree with Max, as that is one thing you have to watch with for print work.
    That aside, these are going to look wonderful in the book.
    You'll have to post some 'in print' pics once you have a copy of it.
    Also easily repped.
    Thanks a lot John and also thanks for the wise advices you gave me, your help as well as snodsy's, Ilanthar's and Abu Lafia's (especially on the labeling, thanks Martin) was precious to better my first final draft
    As soon as I'll have the print, I'll post something.

To answer a question John asked me, there was a set of illustrations on the first map and the second and third maps were supposed to have variations with different crests. The problem is that the second map was so crowded with informations that such an ornate crest would have been overkill and the death of legibility. we agreed to use simpler title and key boxes keeping them related to the region the maps show through the use of different leaves.

Here's the original crest and key box :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture d’écran 2017-02-02 à 16.02.17.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	543.0 KB 
ID:	92172 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture d’écran 2017-02-02 à 16.02.33.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	92173

A shame we couldn't use them (especially as they took me some time) but they're not wasted and might be used on other works related to this world. I gotta say I'm pretty proud of the crest (yes, I boast).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast