Thread: Globe map gores

Post Globe map gores

HI, I am an old joiner/carpenter,I am recreating the method of making large globes for globe maps,from the 1920-1950s spun plaster method (see u tube video) the problem is, i have little idea about how to print the Gores that get pasted to the globe,I wold be extremely grateful for any advice or help,and would not mind paying somebody who could print out the gores required for the completed globe,......HELP!

Hi taylorjeff, I've moved your post to the 'How Do I' folder, as that's a more appropriate place for it. I know we've had one or two people posting about making globes, so I hope you can find some help.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

Do a search for gores and you get tones of threads so if that doesnt help then ask again.

I am sure that you can find someone who would be willing to do it. It depends on what sized globes your making and thus what sized images you need printing. But if memory serves me you can generate them fairly easily with some apps on the web or by using GDAL.

Blog Entries

there are a few ways
    one that is VERY SIMPLE but has issues of having strait lines for latitude instead of curves
    -- NOT a good choice for your project
    it is the built in program in NetPPM ( likely installed on most linux os's ) but will run in Windows" ppmglobe "

a 8 gore map conversion from Simple Cylindrical
    Code:
    ppmglobe 8 lines10.ppm > 8gor.ppm

HOWEVER that has issues

a better option is to use a GIS program like Qgis ( it is under the GPL public license -- FREE )

depending on the number of gores you need ( using 8 for this also )
    first cut the Simple Cylindrical map into 8 equal vertical strips
    remap each them into TransverseMercator with the longitude center of ZERO and range
    MinimumLatitude = -90.0
    MaximumLatitude = 90.0
    MinimumLongitude = -22.5
    MaximumLongitude = 22.5

and do this for all 8 gores

then you have to print each out
    -- THIS IS NOT!!!! adding extra for overlap !!!! you will need to calculate that , if needed
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Default Gores

Thanks for taking the time to reply, the globe has not been plastered yet, (wednesday) then I will have the accurate circumference size ,which will give the rectangular size for the image the gores will be taken from, problem is 63 year old joiners are no computer buffs!

Blog Entries

are they using decimal inches ? i dought it

likely they are using fractions
    1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16,/1/32,1/64,1/128,and 1/256 th of a inch
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Question

I want to make a globe too and would like to use your second option. Since I don't know much about QGIS a few probelms occured.
    What is the Source SRS (my source map is equirectangular) and Taret SRS and how can I specify the minimum/maximum latitude/longitude?

Question convert to gores

Hi johnvanvliet,

I've got the same problem as Carlo:

could you please elaborate how to remap a slice of the simple Cylindrical map into a TransverseMercator with the longitude center of ZERO and range
    MinimumLatitude = -90.0
    MaximumLatitude = 90.0
    MinimumLongitude = -22.5
    MaximumLongitude = 22.5

i'm not familiar with the qgis software and with hours of googling did not find how to do this. I guess i have to make use of the gdal plugin, but thats as far as i come.

Any help would be highly appreciated!