Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alice's Wonderland ? WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It looks very good, I especially love the "hand-like" peninsula in the middle, and the parchment title is great.
    Finally someone notices the dread hand ! Thanks Ilanthar ! Yeah, three versions. The black and white version which will be hand drawn and the two colored version. One grim and one vivid and colorful. I guess I'll have to redo the map digitally to ease the coloring process and get a better shadowing.

BTW, it won't come soon

Wip

I finally came back near a proper scanner. Here's the map with some more work. I'm glad with the forests, less with the northern and south-western wastelands. There are still pencil sketches so it's not done yet. I still have to finish some icons and do the eastern landmass which is heavily volcanic (streams of lava going into the Boiling Strait).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	93365

As always, feel free to comment/critic.

Late to the party but congrats!

Regarding the map, southern wasteland looks better then the western one, that one just seems out of sync with the mountains. Maybe try adding a bigger element like a canyon, plateau, some rocks, ruins etc, to offset the sea-like monotony. Btw you make such lovely hills, to me they are the bane of everything, can never get them right.

Anyway looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

It's looking good! I see some "gnosis" influence here .
    I like those close-ups. Will you color it? I think it would help to emphasize the different lands even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Late to the party but congrats!

Regarding the map, southern wasteland looks better then the western one, that one just seems out of sync with the mountains. Maybe try adding a bigger element like a canyon, plateau, some rocks, ruins etc, to offset the sea-like monotony. Btw you make such lovely hills, to me they are the bane of everything, can never get them right.

Anyway looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers,
    Barek
    Thanks a lot Barek ! And you're right, I'm not satisfied by the wasteland and desert. I'll have to redo them and the bigger features are a great idea but I think I'll go for a scorched land, very fractured in the northern part and maybe dunes for the southern one. Thanks for the hills, I learned how to do them by watching closely Max's maps and the tutorial made by Wired (a must !).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's looking good! I see some "gnosis" influence here .
    I like those close-ups. Will you color it? I think it would help to emphasize the different lands even more.
    Thanks Ilanthar ! More like "The Known World" or "The Land of Dharn" but that's the spirit, it's a Max fanboy map About the close-ups, you are very kind, to me they look really ugly, I'll redo them digitally and with more inspiration.

I'll color it in two maps. First I'll redo the map completely digitally, upping the size of the map. Then I'll do one grim version with a border reflecting that dread feeling. The second will be special as it's meant for my daughter. I'm hesitating between "Waiting for Alice" as I drew the map the morning before her mother's labour started (out of anxiety I must admit) or simply "Alice's Wonderland" and I plan to give it vivid colors and a larger border with the same atmosphere as the one of the wonderful "Map of Tooj" by Francesca Baerald but with objects and ideas linked to my wife's pregnancy (what made baby move in the belly) and my daughter's first days (you'll meet Marius, her softest cutest stuffed rabbit). She's a really beautiful baby and I hope I'll be able to do her justice. The result will be framed in her room in A3 format. But I'll take my time to finish this one

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Excellent work on forests and trees (despite your hatred) I wonder about the rendering of the northern zone, though

By Thomrey
    About the close-ups, you are very kind, to me they look really ugly, I'll redo them digitally and with more inspiration.
    Well, you're too harsh with yourself! They do look like a very good start in my eye, particularly the circle of stones.

I'm hesitating between "Waiting for Alice" as I drew the map the morning before her mother's labour started (out of anxiety I must admit) or simply "Alice's Wonderland" and I plan to give it vivid colors and a larger border with the same atmosphere as the one of the wonderful "Map of Tooj" by Francesca Baerald but with objects and ideas linked to my wife's pregnancy (what made baby move in the belly) and my daughter's first days (you'll meet Marius, her softest cutest stuffed rabbit). She's a really beautiful baby and I hope I'll be able to do her justice. The result will be framed in her room in A3 format. But I'll take my time to finish this one
    I'm really looking forward to it. The colors of the Map of Tooj are gorgeous, and it's gonna be great for this map too. And I'm certain you'll do her justice, you're doing great maps and she will surely be sensible to your efforts and care !

Wip

Hi fellows,

I've not been very active on the forum lately as I've been drawing a lot and playing with a toddler a lot more. Speaking of the devil, here's some advancement. I redrew the map digitally to put it to color. Not done yet and hesitating on the forest but it's not looking too bad.
    B&W and some colors, the original file is twice this size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 post.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	970.8 KB 
ID:	97495 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 color post.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	97496

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Great!
    It's always in your style, but there's really something more: I do not know if it's in the details, the angle of view or what ... Perhaps in the very neat line? In any case, I already love the project and I really look forward to seeing more! Shadows, will really bring a lot!

Hey Thomas, looks like another beauty. Your scale of mountain, to hills and forest works really well. Think the rivers look pretty good too. Only comment, the mountains all seem more individual and not a chain, maybe tieing them together more?

Look forward to seeing this come along. Enjoy the toddler, they grow up way too fast. Mine two daughters 22, 26 now, yikes! but they are still fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast