Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2017 Challenge: Mordor Holiday Resort

This is awesome..
    "Whilst every effort is made to remove them, diners should be aware that food may contain small bones, large bones, leather fragments, hair, studs, chain-mail, and eyballs when in season. We don't charge extra for these bonus dishes"

You won.

p.s. I want a "make Mordor great again" hat

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Best thing in 2017.

Thanks guys, and wow!

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Hahaha! This is brilliant. You so have to register mordor-resort.com and build a website
    I forgot to respond to this yesterday, but yeah... I am so doing this! After the challenge is over, watch this space...

*goes off to hunt for the cheapest domain registrar*
    Last edited by ChickPea; 02-22-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This is amazing!! A brilliant idea too, and the whole thing looks very professional. You just need the locations on the map now.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks, Josiah. Working on it! Last night I made a skull on a stick for my golf course icon. I mean, Mordor's not going to have stupid flags like every other golf course!

Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

Beautiful! I love it!

Sidenote: can any Tolkien-nerds out there tell me the background behind the shape of those mountains? Like, it's easy to laugh and say "haha nice one Tolkien, perfectly right-angled tectonic plates", but Tolkien was pretty clever - I doubt it was unintentional. I'm sure one of you guys has read the Silmarillion and has the answer for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Thanks guys, and wow!

I forgot to respond to this yesterday, but yeah... I am so doing this! After the challenge is over, watch this space...

*goes off to hunt for the cheapest domain registrar*

I know where i am going to spend my next holiday . Just hope it wont be too expensive to book a cave in mountain

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_unlimited View Post
    Beautiful! I love it!

Sidenote: can any Tolkien-nerds out there tell me the background behind the shape of those mountains? Like, it's easy to laugh and say "haha nice one Tolkien, perfectly right-angled tectonic plates", but Tolkien was pretty clever - I doubt it was unintentional. I'm sure one of you guys has read the Silmarillion and has the answer for me...
    I have always wondered whether Tolkien was inspired by the relief of Carpathian mountains

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carpates-carte-des-Carpates-mont-Gerlachovský-mont-Moldoveanu-Mont-Rysy-Bucarest-Carpates-Danube.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	92843
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Romania_location_map_Topographic.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	92842  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_unlimited View Post
    Well, I don't know any specifics concerning Mordor, but I do know that Tolkien did indeed put a lot of thought into the geology of Middle-Earth. However, the major features like mountain ranges, lakes, seas and oceans weren't formed by the gradual processes we are used to in the real world. They were formed by the Valar (something like angels, or lesser gods under the creator Eru Ilúvatar). For instance, the mountain range along the coast of Valinor, where the Valar lived, was raised specifically to function as a protective wall. Morgoth (Sauron's former boss, and the closest thing to Satan in ME) seemed more fond of destroying the other Valar's work in huge volcanic eruptions and what not. This goes some way towards explaining why all the major features are so obviously artificial. Other Tolkien nerds that know a lot more than I do, say that Mordor was definitely formed by Morgoth in this way (when he destroyed the Two Lamps, maybe?), even before Sauron settled there. The narrow valley of Udûn in the northwest is apparently a huge caldera.

Nothing to do with geological discussions, but I laughed myself silly at this tweet...

https://twitter.com/beefmilk/status/834157440358715392

Clearly my map needs more cats!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast