Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: March 2017 Challenge: The Voyage of the Caribbean Crown

Diamond, may I ask what you're using for your mountain ranges at this scale? They look great. It's such an appropriate size for this map, and I think I could learn a lot from your methodology.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The mountain ranges are done with various photoshop filters. I start off with a layer that's got just a generic black&white clouds filter, then add between 4 and 8 difference clouds. The more difference clouds, the smaller the scale, so if you're doing a smallish regional map, use less; for a continent or world map, more. That's your base mountain layer.

Then I make another layer and do CTRL + Shift + Alt + E; this creates a copy of the previous layer with all the stuff/fx already in place. This is the hill layer (it creates the finer underlying terrain below the mountains). I add a noise filter and then move the layer under the mountain layer.

After that, it's just a matter of experimenting with various bevel/emboss settings to get something you like. Start with the mountain layer, set the layer fill to 0%, and then play around with the bevel settings. When I have something I like, I duplicate it for the hill layer, but at a lesser degree. When I get home from work tonight I'll try to remember to write up the exact process.

That's a fantastic description. I'll play around on my own with that process and see what I can come up with. Thanks very much!

I haven't been able to resist looking, and now feel relieved that what I thought was the end of the story before the middle turned out not to be the case - still looking forward to the story.

The border work is lovely. It goes much better with the rest of the map than the previous one

Many thanks for the answer how you do relief Diamond. Looking forward to finished work.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Done. Hope the story is to your liking, Mouse!

### Winner ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarchChallenge7.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	94163  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Its film-worthy

Errr... "Persons wishing to visit the exhibit or any other part of the AMNH must submit to a 5 level Federal Screening"! Yikes!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234