Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March 2017 Challenge: After the Storm

I'm sticking with the parchment, but I'm adding colour to the map and enhancing the swirls.

Feeling really pleased with myself because I finally worked out how to do dashed lines, properly.

Still a long way off finished with this, but here is where I'm at:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After the Storm24.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	93977

The map is done... sort of. All I have to do to it now is the grand merge down and the grand deform job - to make it match the way the title is deformed. That's not going to be easy, but I'm leaving it for now in case I want to change anything first.

I need to work on the boat in the border a lot more before I tentatively call it finished, which should fill the time I leave the map alone to be sure than I'm happy with it before deforming it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	After the Storm25.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	93985

The map is done. I've warped it as well as I can, but the limitations of working on a laptop mean that I managed to crash GIMP 3 times by asking too much, so its not perfect, but its as good as its going to be.

The rest of the work will be to the border now

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	After the Storm26.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	93994

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is gorgeous. GORGEOUS. Honestly, I think the only things you need to do are to add a bit of border around the map itself, and clean up the sailboat. Other than that, a real winner and something you should be really proud of.

And I like your mousie footprint.

Aw thank you D

Hehe I've gone all red now! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-27-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Well.... I just can't seem to draw that boat, but I've found a substitute. I purchased a Cornucopia model of an American Cutter and messed around all day in Vue getting the angle and the lighting right, and then repainted the render of it all over again once I got it into GIMP.

The green seal was another tough job. I still haven't figured out the bevel and emboss filters in GIMP, so what you see is a five minute job I did in my 20 year old Corel Photopaint app - before it crashed (again)

What I have left to do:

- Texture the water all the way along underneath the map parchment (which I've temporarily painted matt blue all over to get the right tone)

- Create and shade the bow wave and so on around the boat

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	After the Storm28.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	94061

EDIT: Oh yes! I've decided to leave the text and the map un-warped. That's not because I think it looks better, but just because I can't get a satisfactory warp effect going over such a large area without my laptop crashing before I'm half way through each time. The original is 8000 x 4000 pixels, and has 37 layers (mostly part layers)
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-27-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Guild Expert

Looking good Mouse, I can't wait to see it with the waves around the boat, that should really help to tie it all together.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's got my vote!

Aw stoppit! LOL! I'm red as a beetroot!

Thank you both

I think I'm done with this one, unless anyone can see an obvious graphical 'blooper'

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	After the Storm29.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	94080

The wake is hand drawn, but the reflection and shadow were rendered in Vue and imposed on the rest of the drawing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast