Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Arvellon, capital of Eowyl Viceroyalty

You have so much talent, and your maps are so beautiful. Please don't give up!

If the flatten file is black lines with white background and blue sea, its still salvageable to me. Of course it depends on you work and technique, what layers are important to you etc. Is it really beyond any fix ?

Edit. Also i dont have newest version of PS so i cant check, dosent it have a function to make a backup of file every time you overwrite save? Krita does that by default which is super life saver. Every time i save it makes autobackup from the latest file.
    Last edited by Voolf; 04-13-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Wow that totally blows. I'd say don't move on, just go do another project for a while (if you have that option) and then come back to this with fresh eyes and a calmer attitude. I've smashed a few projects midway through out of frustration when I was young and I always regretted it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh no! Do you not have an earlier version you can salvage?

I know you don't want to hear this right now, but I've lost maps too, and I've carried on and remade them from the ground up, most notably Merelan City. Oddly enough I've always found they look better the second time around. It's like you learn so much without being aware of it, and you avoid all the tiny mistakes the second time.

Please don't smash anything!
    "Luckily" I have an earlier version, about 20 work-hours earlier.. I show you the difference
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen1.PNG 
Views:	58 
Size:	637.9 KB 
ID:	94553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen2.PNG 
Views:	97 
Size:	742.5 KB 
ID:	94554

Other than the lineart (which I will try to cut and paste from the flattened) I lost also the color tests and layers, and other hidden layers with resources..

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    If the flatten file is black lines with white background and blue sea, its still salvageable to me. Of course it depends on you work and technique, what layers are important to you etc. Is it really beyond any fix ?

Edit. Also i dont have newest version of PS so i cant check, dosent it have a function to make a backup of file every time you overwrite save? Krita does that by default which is super life saver. Every time i save it makes autobackup from the latest file.
    Yes, the linework is salvageable I think (even if the ones on azure background will be tricky) the main problem are in fact the hidden layers I worked on the last week.
    About the backup: I'm using Photoshop cc, but I'm not aware of that, I will investigate, Thanks!

Oh no! That is so awful!
    I remember I lost my progress on my first commission, but I ended up finding a copy file in the end.
    I hope you can find a backup file!!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Does photoshop not save fairly extensive history for each PSD? If you look into history, is there any way to revert back to before you flattened it? I've heard of people salvaging work from History before, but obviously it won't work all the time.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I just wanted to say that I messed up badly... I accidentally saved the .psd file flattened, now I want to smash everything
    I lost so much work and resources that I don't know how to move on.. I guess that this project will be delayed until I figure out, sorry
    I feel for you! Had an "accident" myself yesterday. I do hope you'll get back on it, as it's an amazing map!

That's very sad to hear Tom! I hope it doesn't get you down and you finish the map. It's really a splendid piece!

Here I am again, I finally fixed the "flattened issue" and moved on!
    This is the current wip, the main lineart is done, I started coloring and testing some textures, still huge work to do, but hope you enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arvellon_07.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	5.83 MB 
ID:	109504
    Last edited by Tom; 08-15-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast