Thread: Greetings from the cold north!

Guild Novice

Default Greetings from the cold north!

Hey all,

I'm new here and also to map making. I've recently started playing D&D with a close group of friends and am currently working on a future campaign in which I will act as the DM. I am looking to learn some technique to make some memorable world, regional, and encounter maps. This is one of the main reasons for joining this group.

I'm in my early 30's with a very young family (3 kids under age 5) so the only quiet time I get is in the evenings and I'm wanting to expand and build on my creativity. I live in Winnipeg, Canada where I work as an executive chef providing meals for those in our community that are less fortunate. In my spare time I enjoy playing music, video games, and just enjoying life in general.

I have to admit that I am more than just a little impressed with the quality of work that a lot of people in this guild put out and I am very excited to learn from each and every one of you. I'm currently working with Gimp to develop maps, but find it tough to draw lines with my gaming mouse (although the 12 extra action buttons come in handy for shortcuts). I'm hoping to get a drawing tablet in the near future to help with this.

- Krazee

Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
    Hey all,

I'm new here and also to map making. I've recently started playing D&D with a close group of friends and am currently working on a future campaign in which I will act as the DM. I am looking to learn some technique to make some memorable world, regional, and encounter maps. This is one of the main reasons for joining this group.

I'm in my early 30's with a very young family (3 kids under age 5) so the only quiet time I get is in the evenings and I'm wanting to expand and build on my creativity. I live in Winnipeg, Canada where I work as an executive chef providing meals for those in our community that are less fortunate. In my spare time I enjoy playing music, video games, and just enjoying life in general.

I have to admit that I am more than just a little impressed with the quality of work that a lot of people in this guild put out and I am very excited to learn from each and every one of you. I'm currently working with Gimp to develop maps, but find it tough to draw lines with my gaming mouse (although the 12 extra action buttons come in handy for shortcuts). I'm hoping to get a drawing tablet in the near future to help with this.

- Krazee
    Hello. Welcome to the forum. If you want a cheap graphic tablet get an ugee m708. It has good sensitivity, low price, but the compatibility with some software is not there. It can work with photoshop, Corel painter and Illustrator from my experience. It is also quite large compared to usual graphic tablets. I hope we can see each other in the threads here. good luck with the map making and welcome again.

Default Welcome!

I find a tablet is absolutely necessary, but most people here would agree I imagine. Though nothing replaces hand-drawn work! Best of luck with the three little tykes and gaming This comes from experience - that's a tough act to handle!

-Vaxfiend

Welcome fellow Winnipegger!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your maps.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Welcome from Winnipeg!

Drawing maps with a mouse is indeed hard, I would certainly recommend getting a tablet, as it helps immensely.

Good luck with your maps, I hope to see some soon!

Guild Novice

Thanks everybody! Gonna look into the Ugee m708. Definitely a good price on it!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Guild Novice

So after reading through countless reviews of budget drawing tablets, I decided on the Huion 610 Pro. Will be here Thursday and I'm super pumped to work with it

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk