Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: March/April 2017 Lite Challenge: Finding the Fleet

I think I prefer the one right before the last, but it's still a fantastic cover. Unfortunately I think you've given yourself a ton of work to get all the others up to snuff now

LOL! Thanks Falconius. You've given me quite a dilemma.

Now which to choose?

Hmmmn.

There may yet be another final version, if I blend the difference between the two latest versions and like what I get.

And just thinking of getting the others to match is giving me a headache. It seems I work better when I'm given a deadline to work to, so all I can hope for is that Bogie will run this challenge another 4 times! LOL!

Very slight adjustment to the brilliance of the green to bring it down from full saturation, and a small amount of touching up on the feather, where the increased contrast was making it look a bit too scrappy

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finding the Fleet 16.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	574.0 KB 
ID:	94510

Hopefully, this really is the final WIP this time
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-13-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Guild Expert

It's neat to see all the covers like that, you must have put allot of time into this project. I really like the second cover in the line up with the map fading into the mountains, that one is genius in my opinion, and my favorite one, but the big question is when do we get to read them? Are you still working on the first one? It would be interesting to see what there all about after seeing you work through so many maps for the setting.

Edit... I was just thinking about it, and it would be really cool if each book of the series was like that second one, like if one book takes place in a city then have a hand drawn city map fading into a real city like you did with the mountains...I just think thats such a great idea you came up with.

The second one? LOL - that's the one that this cover is intended to replace. The background to the one in the cover strip is a scene rendered from Vue Pioneer, which is the free version of the 3D landscaping software. I can't use the rendered scene from the free version for commercial purposes, so it has to go, unfortunately. I could have drawn a 3D landscape by hand, but I think I prefer the version I've done for this challenge better, since the feather touching the map is giving the wrong message as far as the story goes.

I have the same 'Vue problem' with covers 1, 3, and 5, though all of them need to be greatly improved in any case, as you can see.

As for the writing? I only have as much time to write as life and luck have allowed me (which isn't that much as it's turned out), so I continue when I can. The plan for all of this is about 10,000 words long in its own right - so its all there in case I don't manage to get to the end before the end gets to me, if you see what I mean

EDIT: I should hurriedly add that I am not dying, by the way. I'm just a lot older than all you young things
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, as long as you write as often as you can I'm sure you'll get ready to publish at some point. I have a book lying that I've written with a friend myself, stills needs editing and that's where we've been for some time now. And then I have a few stories of my own waiting to be written, including perhaps the one I just made a cover for - procrastination takes up a lot of time
    And we're not all young in here - I think many people are older than you think - I'm nearing 50 now *shudder*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Well, as long as you write as often as you can I'm sure you'll get ready to publish at some point. I have a book lying that I've written with a friend myself, stills needs editing and that's where we've been for some time now. And then I have a few stories of my own waiting to be written, including perhaps the one I just made a cover for - procrastination takes up a lot of time
    And we're not all young in here - I think many people are older than you think - I'm nearing 50 now *shudder*
    Hehe - I'm over 50 now. Had that birthday last year and the next is only a couple of months away. I started writing when I was 13, but every imaginable situation has arisen over the last 37 years to prevent progress that I'm close to giving up now. Among other things I raised someone else's disabled child for 17 of those years, and I've never had 100% energy since that time. I feel... worn out, or worn down, somehow.

And then on top of that there's the procrastination, of course

looking on the bright side - I have an English teacher friend who's offered to read through and check the grammar and punctuation of the first book, then there's a volunteer who I've never met, but who is interested in fantasy fiction and won't be biased in my favour because he doesn't know me, and who I hope will still be interested in reading it by the time I get as far as sending it to him. After that, and unless there are any huge problems picked out by either of these two people, I guess I publish.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    looking on the bright side - I have an English teacher friend who's offered to read through and check the grammar and punctuation of the first book, then there's a volunteer who I've never met, but who is interested in fantasy fiction and won't be biased in my favour because he doesn't know me, and who I hope will still be interested in reading it by the time I get as far as sending it to him. After that, and unless there are any huge problems picked out by either of these two people, I guess I publish.
    Always best to look at the bright side! It will be great to get some non-biased feedback on them, and some day, perhaps sooner than you might think, it would be wonderful to finally see them get published especially with all the lovely maps you've conjured up for your world and shared with us!

Talking of which, your threads always move so far and I've missed a couple of updates, but I love the progress you've made. Particularly with the feather since that's such a prominent element. The new orange is a lovely colour and works more softly with the rest.

Thanks GLS

Have to dash - take someone to eye hospital this morning, so this is a bit hurried!

You're very kind - thanks for the encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hehe - I'm over 50 now. Had that birthday last year and the next is only a couple of months away.
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Isn't it cute listening to the young-uns talk about gittin' older, I'd love to be only turning 50.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast