Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Annydwyr (Commission WIP)

I think this is really good, Josiah. You've nailed the fantasy style: it reminds me of some of Max's work, and that's high praise indeed.

I am half in agreement with Mouse about the forests, though: there's something about them that clashes with the rest of the map, but I'm not sure if I agree with her theory that they're too realistic. For me, I think it is simply that you have some huge blocks of forest, and very few little forests, or stray trees. Sure, a stray tree wouldn't be visible at this scale, but it might help to break up the forest edges a little.

Wingshaw
    (formerly TheHoarseWhisperer or THW)

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Hi again everyone. Here's a bit of an update.
    Things that I've done:
    -Text effects
    -Borders
    -Other small things
    As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annydwyr-guild.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	97683

Things to do:
    -border around map
    -legend
    -compass rose

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Banner - very nice. Mouse approves

I've been staring at this map for a while now, and I think I've analysed what it is that I'm not keen on with the trees. They seem to me to be too realistic - like something I would use if I were to do a regional map in my photorealistic style.

I'm not saying they are bad, or anything, just that I don't think they go with the strong traditional fantasy map style of the rest of the map because they are too real. The rest of the map is sort of... 'shaded and tinted ink drawing' style, but the trees are fuzzy-photorealistic style that would look really great on a pseudo aerial photograph style of map.

Ok - I'll shut up now about the trees (and run off before everyone else decides to beat me up for yapping on about them)
    Thanks Mouse!
    Yup, I think you're right and that's what I've thought for a while too.
    I personally like the forests and it seems quite a few other people like it too, I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I totally understand what you're saying.
    Thanks again for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I think this is really good, Josiah. You've nailed the fantasy style: it reminds me of some of Max's work, and that's high praise indeed.

I am half in agreement with Mouse about the forests, though: there's something about them that clashes with the rest of the map, but I'm not sure if I agree with her theory that they're too realistic. For me, I think it is simply that you have some huge blocks of forest, and very few little forests, or stray trees. Sure, a stray tree wouldn't be visible at this scale, but it might help to break up the forest edges a little.

Wingshaw
    (formerly TheHoarseWhisperer or THW)
    That is very high praise! Thank you so much!
    Thanks for the feedback.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Wow, how could i have missed this so far??!?

This is gorgeous! I love almost everything about it. The mountains and forests are very well done, imo. Keep it up!

Now, things i'd like to see:

- some background for this world (big sucker for setting/worldbuilding information here ).
    - If possible, an even higher resolution of the map. I want to zoom in even more, to see the glorious details.

Very much looking forward to see the finished map!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very nice looking map, Josiah.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Loving this. The colours are so striking and I'm a fan of the forests. You're doing an amazing job here, Josiah!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Absolutely beautiful map. There is so much artistic depth to it. The terrain is superb, the mountains, dunes, forests(I like them. How did you do them?)(Also, what textures do you use? They are very impressive.). I also really like the water paint feel to the ocean. You made one awesome maelstrom, I tip my hat for that one. I've been busy dreaming of ways of doing mine for my continental map, and yours is just inspiring to look at.

I do have something that kind of popped out at me. This is just my own opinion, but I did feel the political borders are too overpowering, it feels like they DEMAND the viewers' attention away from the beautiful terrain. Yet, again, it is just that way for me.

But, man, this is really one great map. Keep up the good work.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I always enjoy your maps, sorry I missed it so far. First off, I always love your land texture/shadow- Is this a background or hand shadowed/colored?, it is so nicely scaled to create the hills and valleys between the other features.

you got those trees down, so full of volume, nicely scaled again to the mountains. Desert looks great.

I think you could add just a point or two to the Leading (space between lines) of the text (Steppes touches Thunder) and just looks tight and starts to "block up". (Amberfield March)

I'm having a little problem reading Zurgaras, Durlinsgrath in the north.

Your border treatment is really nice, especially in Valencia. The shield is awesome! great job

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

As already said: it is a truly magnificent map! So great and so detailed! And you have such a talent to make the various aspects of relief, ribs, forests, etc ... I look forward to the end!

Hi again all!

More progress!
    If there aren't any final tweaks, this is possibly the final version, or very very close to it.

As always, let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annydwyr-guild.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	98161

Thank you one and all for all the amazing comments one and all, they mean a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Wow, how could i have missed this so far??!?

This is gorgeous! I love almost everything about it. The mountains and forests are very well done, imo. Keep it up!

Now, things i'd like to see:

- some background for this world (big sucker for setting/worldbuilding information here ).
    - If possible, an even higher resolution of the map. I want to zoom in even more, to see the glorious details.

Very much looking forward to see the finished map!
    Thanks Eilathen!
    I'm sorry, even I don't know that much about the background, so I can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Very nice looking map, Josiah.
    Thanks Chashio

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Loving this. The colours are so striking and I'm a fan of the forests. You're doing an amazing job here, Josiah!
    Thank you so much Chickpea!

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Absolutely beautiful map. There is so much artistic depth to it. The terrain is superb, the mountains, dunes, forests(I like them. How did you do them?)(Also, what textures do you use? They are very impressive.). I also really like the water paint feel to the ocean. You made one awesome maelstrom, I tip my hat for that one. I've been busy dreaming of ways of doing mine for my continental map, and yours is just inspiring to look at.

I do have something that kind of popped out at me. This is just my own opinion, but I did feel the political borders are too overpowering, it feels like they DEMAND the viewers' attention away from the beautiful terrain. Yet, again, it is just that way for me.

But, man, this is really one great map. Keep up the good work.
    Wow! That's very high praise, thank you so much!
    I see why you say that, but I found that it needed to be thick in order for it to be adequately noticeable. Thank you for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    I always enjoy your maps, sorry I missed it so far. First off, I always love your land texture/shadow- Is this a background or hand shadowed/colored?, it is so nicely scaled to create the hills and valleys between the other features.

you got those trees down, so full of volume, nicely scaled again to the mountains. Desert looks great.

I think you could add just a point or two to the Leading (space between lines) of the text (Steppes touches Thunder) and just looks tight and starts to "block up". (Amberfield March)

I'm having a little problem reading Zurgaras, Durlinsgrath in the north.

Your border treatment is really nice, especially in Valencia. The shield is awesome! great job
    I use a parchment texture underneath and then shade/highlight/colour with grunge brushes on overlay layers.
    Yes, some of the text is a bit difficult to read. I hope that won't be a problem when it is printed at full size. If it still is I'll have to adjust it a bit. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    As already said: it is a truly magnificent map! So great and so detailed! And you have such a talent to make the various aspects of relief, ribs, forests, etc ... I look forward to the end!
    Thank you Jo!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert

Very nice Josiah! I'm always looking to you for inspiration. I love the colours, especially in the water, the mountains, and the border there's so much to pour over here. This is a really great map!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast