Thread: May 2017 challenge entry: The Scandal of the Sunburst Angel

Map May 2017 challenge entry: The Scandal of the Sunburst Angel

This was the map I entered into the May 2017 challenge "Map a dastardly plan". The sub-challenge was to get a Curly Wurly in there somehow Here's the WIP thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dastardly Plan.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	96280

I attempted to emulate an atlas style here. It was a steep learning curve. I know some things I need to improve on. For example I don't have any compass roses or scales that I can use and I really could do with learning to do better borders. Actually any borders for that matter. Another thing is the text - GIMP really isn't a DTP package by any stretch so it was a bit of a challenge and what resulted was more a case of FITWiD (polite translation: OK, that'll do) than being satisfied with it. I could also do with learning more about layer masks because I've messed about with them but can't seem to get the result I want. Does anyone know if there's a way to place a layer above others that's transparent right down to the background without just deleting the selected area one layer at a time? I'm probably doing everything inefficiently.

Despite all that though, when I look at what I was doing just a couple of months ago and what I am capable of now I think there's been a huge improvement and it's all thanks to this guild, the support and advice, the encouragement and the great humour

Thanks everyone!

Hey Straf

Congratulations on coming a very respectable joint 2nd in the Challenge

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the dastardly plan - thank you for sharing it with us, and I also think you did splendidly with the map, considering this is your first attempt at an atlas style.

The fastest way I know of deleting everything in a selected patch right down to the base is to make sure you have that patch selected and click on each layer then press DELETE. It erases everything in the selection area on that layer.

If you are working with layer masks and don't actually want to delete anything at all but only hide it in case you want some or all of it back at some stage, make sure the area is selected, have white picked as the foreground colour, and you have checked the 'fill selection' box on the fill tool, then go down the layer masks one at a time, filling each with a single click of the fill bucket in the selection area.

This was really good entry Straf, nice clean style and good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey Straf

Congratulations on coming a very respectable joint 2nd in the Challenge

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the dastardly plan - thank you for sharing it with us, and I also think you did splendidly with the map, considering this is your first attempt at an atlas style.

The fastest way I know of deleting everything in a selected patch right down to the base is to make sure you have that patch selected and click on each layer then press DELETE. It erases everything in the selection area on that layer.

If you are working with layer masks and don't actually want to delete anything at all but only hide it in case you want some or all of it back at some stage, make sure the area is selected, have white picked as the foreground colour, and you have checked the 'fill selection' box on the fill tool, then go down the layer masks one at a time, filling each with a single click of the fill bucket in the selection area.
    Thanks Mouse - I did the selecting and deleting thing for my text boxes but I was just wondering if there's a way without doing each layer at a time (apart from merging them all). However the masks thing sounds better because if I need to move a box for some reason it will make it a lot easier so I'll try that next time

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    This was really good entry Straf, nice clean style and good plan.
    Thanks Voolf

Actually I told a lie - well - got it the wrong way around. If you fill an area of layer mask with white it makes that part of the layer opaque. Its black you need to fill the mask with if you want the layer to be transparent!

Sorry! Please don't hit me! I'm still only just getting the hang of this myself! LOL!