Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2017 Lite challenge: Scribble Rock

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Seems like a layer mask would be a little less destructive. That eraser tool can get you into trouble sometimes. Well, it's gotten ME into trouble many times... ymmv.
    That's a very good point. Thanks for picking that up, IG

I messed up very badly with my second attempt at one of my Guild City maps when I was just starting with GIMP a few months ago, but that was because I didn't know about using layer masks back then.

XCali - The GIMP ocean test run I did on that other thread I linked to above uses a layer mask on each layer - each layer being a solid plate of sand, rock, or water texture. With a mask in place, and using black or white to paint on the mask (not the actual layer itself), all I had to do was just paint on the masks to make parts of each layer either visible, or invisible, depending on whether I wanted a rock or a piece of weed at that particular point in the map.
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-02-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's a very good point. Thanks for picking that up, IG

I messed up very badly with my second attempt at one of my Guild City maps when I was just starting with GIMP a few months ago, but that was because I didn't know about using layer masks back then.

XCali - The GIMP ocean test run I did on that other thread I linked to above uses a layer mask on each layer - each layer being a solid plate of sand, rock, or water texture. With a mask in place, and using black or white to paint on the mask (not the actual layer itself), all I had to do was just paint on the masks to make parts of each layer either visible, or invisible, depending on whether I wanted a rock or a piece of weed at that particular point in the map.
    I still need to start learning layer masks in GIMP. So far I've made do without.
    But the you talked about a mask right now, really makes me want to add it to my arsenal.

You might find this tutorial by jfrazierjr useful, since most of the online tutorial vids are chiefly concerned with messing around with photographs to give them different skies and such like, whereas this one is about maps. Even though a lot has changed since 2009 where GIMP is concerned, the principles of using masks have not

I realise now after reading it myself that I was using this technique to make the Ocean effect map on my other thread

I wasn't entirely happy with the lack of form in the rock, so I recreated the background (land and sea) in GIMP.

This is just a first draft as far as the GIMP background goes, as can be seen from the unfinished and sloppy nature of the tideline and rocks. All I have really worked on here is the shading - getting the flat texture to look like cliffs, and I think I still have a bit more work to do on just that before moving on to the rest of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scribble Rock GIMP 01.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	8.15 MB 
ID:	96347
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Looking great. I like where you're going with it!

-IG

Brilliant Sue! Just Brilliant.

To be honest Mouse i like previous version better. The extended rock below sea here looks artificial, straght perpendicular strokes, not very jagged (as i would imagine rock). If this is just a start and you goint to work more on that then ignore my comment.

Other then that map is very good. Hope you will get your first award for this one

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Looking great. I like where you're going with it!

-IG
    Thank you IG

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Brilliant Sue! Just Brilliant.
    Thanks Bogie

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    To be honest Mouse i like previous version better. The extended rock below sea here looks artificial, straght perpendicular strokes, not very jagged (as i would imagine rock). If this is just a start and you goint to work more on that then ignore my comment.

Other then that map is very good. Hope you will get your first award for this one
    Thanks Voolf

I hear you - and the rocks are next. They're only just roughly 'scribbled in' at the moment. I've also yet to add any of the shingle and weed.

As for the last bit - well that would be nice if it happens that way, but there are still 7 days to go, and at least 3 other unfinished entries

Do you think it would look odd if I added labels like 'Smuggler's Cave' and such to the map itself, now that I have a legend for the main points of interest? I mean - is it a taboo to have both a legend and then also labels on the map?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Do you think it would look odd if I added labels like 'Smuggler's Cave' and such to the map itself, now that I have a legend for the main points of interest? I mean - is it a taboo to have both a legend and then also labels on the map?
    Yeah, usually it does not go well together on regional map. You can try, when you see it, you will probably know. I would go with placing all names on map or do all in a key with this one. If you can not make up your mind, upload both versions. We will help you determine which one is ugly as hell and you should burn it as soon as possible

ROFL! thank you so much, Voolf!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast