Thread: Custom pinning map ?

Default Custom pinning map ?

Hello , I am wondering if there is any online tool that allows to upload a custom made map and allow people to place markers here and there to create a sort of % preference to collect data?

Blog Entries

This is a serous nerd snipe. I spent an evening thinking about fair spatial voting systems, and then managed to spread the snipe to several of my coworkers.

What is a nerd snipe?

Blog Entries

English is my first language and I am not sure I understood any of that either !

Guild Member

Nerd sniping is a phrase deployed in the webcomic XKCD. Once you understand that then Hai-Etlik's post makes sense. (click the link to see the relevant comic.)

You're making it too hard.

This is an "already solved problem."

Use Google Maps.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    You're making it too hard.

This is an "already solved problem."

Use Google Maps.
    you can upload custom maps on google and let people pin things?

Blog Entries

You can do it with javascript and a database and leaflet.js. We use leaflet.js on the community maps. If you go to the guild city you will see links from the finished sectors to the finished maps posts. Now you would need javascript to pick up the mouse position and add a new entry into the database and use the database list of coordinates to put down the links on to the leaflet map which is something we dont have - the positions of ours are hard coded in the file upload. But there is nothing to stop you adding those coords from something more dynamic.

We used to have a "Where in the World" perl script running on this site where you entered your location and it put up a dot on the world map and you could hover over it to see the member name of who was physically close to you. That could have been done by clicking with the mouse but we did it using lat/long coords in a form box. I made the form write out to a file instead of a database and the map script read in the file each time. The only thing is that where Apache will run perl cgi native, nginx will not and you have to use extra extensions or do it natively using PHP.

Not hugely difficult to do the map pinning thing but also not trivial either.

Edit: Ah yes XKCD. Now I recall seeing that strip... My fav one is called "recursion" or something like that. Very old one now tho...

Hmmm, have you solved your problem yet?