Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: City of Rognal

Map City of Rognal

Pencil on 9x12 drawing paper, then colored in PS

I've been busy with a lot of stuff, not least of which is some health issues [nothing too serious ] but that has kept me from my usual level of activity.
    But, I was doing a bunch of sketching lately and whipped out this little fellow.
    This is another piece from the world of Nhyn [Haldeshar/Skenara/Trolnarm/etc.], and again we are over in the region of Algarn,
    common to the previous pieces Dragon's Roost and the Road to Midgeon.

This time we visit the city of Rognal; a city which has looked out from the foothills of the Gara Tohm mountains since the ancients were young.
    The first city south from the Hugar region, it is the last Thuhen city on the road to Fayde.

The oldest section of the city lies at its southern tip and is notable for the fortified citadel of the Children of Gara,
    an ancient sect of monks and ponderers of esoteric mysteries.
    Also of note is the Tower of Tohm and the nearby Tower of Na'amazel.
    All of these structures look down upon the vale of Thima running east of the city.

This southern thrust section is the ancient spiritual heart of the city and contains some of its elder landmarks.
    And ironically, some of its best taverns such as the Hall of the Liquid Soul and Libelmugs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Rognal by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	1538 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	96694

Damn!

And just when I thought I was over my infatuation with Trolnarm!

John!

I love it.... sigh....

I hope you are well now, and continue to improve if not

Mesmerizing illustration of the city, and the map too of course.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a beautiful castle (and you know how I like castles) in a beautiful landscape. I love the background where one discovers a part of the city: it is very intelligently done because the city does not occupy all the drawing, but one understands that it is immense (or at least very large). And the great place to the landscape opens completely the drawing and the imaginary. Finally I love the way you manage to combine the view from above, and the perspective view, on some of your drawings. It's always done in a natural way, without cutting the image into two completely foreign parts of each other .. It's really inspiring! (thanks Google trads...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Damn!

And just when I thought I was over my infatuation with Trolnarm!

John!

I love it.... sigh....

I hope you are well now, and continue to improve if not
    Hehe, Trolnarm rises from the grave!!! Mwahaha
    Thanks Mouse I am doing... better. I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Mesmerizing illustration of the city, and the map too of course.
    Thanks Voolf
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What a beautiful castle (and you know how I like castles) in a beautiful landscape. I love the background where one discovers a part of the city: it is very intelligently done because the city does not occupy all the drawing, but one understands that it is immense (or at least very large). And the great place to the landscape opens completely the drawing and the imaginary. Finally I love the way you manage to combine the view from above, and the perspective view, on some of your drawings. It's always done in a natural way, without cutting the image into two completely foreign parts of each other .. It's really inspiring! (thanks Google trads...)
    That is incredibly kind of you JO
    This one started life as the top drawing and I really was just going to do castles.
    It sort of grew a bit and became a bit more. I did do some other sketches for castles and fortified cities.
    So, those may make it to here or DA at some point.

I'm quite fond of castles too, JO, though I realized that I didn't actually have that many on DA, eventhough I have drawn/sketched quite a few.
    That was part of the motivation to do some more finished pieces with castles.

Come on man, where is the rest of the town ?!

Just kidding . This is utterly gorgeous. You, Sir, are the master of the Fantastic view/Top down map category.

I completely agree with Ilanthar! I don't think that there is anyone who does this sort of map better than you, sir. Amazing!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

As usual an outstanding piece of art!

That looks simply amazing! Great work.

Fantastic map. Want to make something like that as well once I am able too
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast