Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: June / July '17 Lite Challenge: Inspired by Malacandra

You still awake over there? It must be *Mouse tries to calculate one of those tricky time calculations* about 1.30 am!

Thanks Chashio. I don't know the forum over there very well, having only just discovered it yesterday, but if you put the suggestion to them I can add a supporting comment. What are you called over there, by the way? (If you don't mind me asking)

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

One workaround I found is to rotate the canvas, paint, save the final work as an image and rotate that image/layer...

Thanks Tenia

You are a bit too clever for me. I'm still trying to work that out, but I'll get it in the end

I've just registered as Apodemus over at ArtRage (the Latin name for the genus of field and wood mice). Someone else is already 'Mouse' over there!

Well I'm back in...

Sort of.

I absolutely know I'm not going to finish it in time because there's just too much to do, but I thought you might like to see how its going, and since I'm updating this thread I might as well put the WIP tag back on it. Especially since its the last time I get a change to do put WIP tags on an LC entry

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Malacandra 10.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	6.59 MB 
ID:	97484

Still having layout problems. The planet curvature is too great, the cliffs are still being a pain, and I only think I might have hit the right kind of pink to go with greenish whitish cliffs. I've had to sacrifice the bluer than blue water. It was just too garish with the pink, and I've no idea how I'm going to make the dead trees on the upland look dead when they are said to be like pink foam - pink being the colour of the living vegetation on the floor of the canals... hmmm.

The sheer number of trees is actually the least of my problems now that I've made an animated brush for them.

Whoa. The thumbnail is really impressive. And so is the full size. I love the view you created. I think the curvature is ok, unless you really don't like it, as it mimics looking down from above... like how a camera warps things. But I can understand how it might make people think actual planet curvature. I like the color choices. But no idea about the dead trees, sorry. Good luck! :/
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Keep going Mouse, you know you can crack this

http://www.cartography.oregonstate.edu might offer help (possibly just inspiration). Or maybe it will just be a time sink.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Cool, really cool. The only suggestion I might have at this point is to reduce the size of the cliff face texture.

The map has a great feeling to it ! A little remark here, and I hope you cannot unsee it The red dots kinda look like a blood splatter. (seats back in his armchair, stroking his white cat and grinning in the dark)

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Whoa. The thumbnail is really impressive. And so is the full size. I love the view you created. I think the curvature is ok, unless you really don't like it, as it mimics looking down from above... like how a camera warps things. But I can understand how it might make people think actual planet curvature. I like the color choices. But no idea about the dead trees, sorry. Good luck! :/
    Thank you so much Chashio

I think that since the upland trees have turned to stone I'm just going to have to do them the same colour as the upland itself. But then, this is my interpretation of Malacandra, and I must admit that when I read the book for the second time I realised my impression from the first read was wrong - I had subconsciously imagined them as grey because they were said to be made of stone

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Keep going Mouse, you know you can crack this
    You do? I mean... I do? LOL! We'll see. If I do finish it this will be the fastest map I've ever done, since technically speaking all bar the water, the sky, and some of the design elements, is brand new - as of yesterday afternoon.

Thanks for the encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    http://www.cartography.oregonstate.edu might offer help (possibly just inspiration). Or maybe it will just be a time sink.
    Oh.... Oh Waldronate. You have just got to get me one of these jelly maps!!!!

They look like almost as much fun as the sand pit (you have to watch the video to know what I mean)!

I'd love an app that would allow me to draw things like that

EDIT: double ninja'd by Wired and Thomas! LOL
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-12-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast