Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July 2017 Entry: 8th level of Pit of Sago

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

This looks really great. You managed to make it really dark and ominous while at the same time it's all still visible. Also: really cool floor pattern. Custom-made?

Thank you all

I was very happy with the point you mentioned Wired. That it worked out to use dark rooms with dark walls and still being easy to see whats what. A problem I did not solve right away on my first dungeon. They often contrast hard to make it easy to see traditionally.

I am very compelled to include more vague stories into future paintings like I did here. I am allowed to do them however I want now once I learned to draw maps

As for your question. The black lines in the floor texture is from some texture I found. Almost the only thing I dident make from scratch. Every color tho is my work.
    Last edited by AdventureDepot; 07-09-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

This is very nice. Great job with the light

The lighting is amazing and the overall map creepy as hell ! And bonus points for the Neverwinter Nights font

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Superb crypt ! Now you have to do the other levels

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

The creepy figure at the entrance is superb!

When zoomed in, I think everything looks fantastic. When zoomed out, the surrounding blackness is somewhat overwhelming for me and the walls of the crypt are lost. Maybe a deep grey or lighter black "outline" area around the crypt, which then fades to pure black further out, would allow the walls to stand out more? (The issue could also be with my computer screen and/or eyeballs.)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    When zoomed in, I think everything looks fantastic. When zoomed out, the surrounding blackness is somewhat overwhelming for me and the walls of the crypt are lost. Maybe a deep grey or lighter black "outline" area around the crypt, which then fades to pure black further out, would allow the walls to stand out more? (The issue could also be with my computer screen and/or eyeballs.)
    That's not a bad idea; maybe something similar to what he did around the key?

*edit: Also, are those tentacles floating around the figure at the door??

Actually, I like the extreme darkness around the edges. The map is meant to be gloomy, after all... I really like the very bright and saturated colour of the lights, too: it adds to the somewhat surreal and disturbing feel of the whole image.

Wingshaw
    (formerly TheHoarseWhisperer or THW)

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Glad you like it guys : )

Thank you.

I will look into the suggestion.

Yes Diamond, there are tentacles around the silhouette, glad you noticed them : P
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Great map AdventureDepot! I always love the colours in your work! The floor texture is great as well, and the shadows in the doorway is a cool detail

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast