Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: August/September 2017 Challenge: Darkwood Harbour

Nice going, Omri

This suggestion comes a little late, given that you have already done nearly half your city, but how about a bit more variation in size and shape of the buildings - T shape and L shape houses? Or buildings that are either noticeably larger or smaller than the average house? I know the larger more complicated buildings are more difficult to draw (I'm having the same problem with my city right now), but a couple of those mixed in with the rest would make the city even more interesting to look at.

Nice map, it's looking great!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Nice going, Omri

This suggestion comes a little late, given that you have already done nearly half your city, but how about a bit more variation in size and shape of the buildings - T shape and L shape houses? Or buildings that are either noticeably larger or smaller than the average house? I know the larger more complicated buildings are more difficult to draw (I'm having the same problem with my city right now), but a couple of those mixed in with the rest would make the city even more interesting to look at.
    Yeah, I know. It would definitely help. Though, getting the perspective right is proving quite hard. I'm using an angle where the right perspective reference for buildings are quite hard to find.
    I tried to draw a L-shape building today, but the roof does not work. At least not yet. So, I'll try to figure it out. A lot of my other drawn buildings has so far gone unused because their perspective is far too wonky. It is quite frustrating to say the least. But, I'll try

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Nice map, it's looking great!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by XCali; 08-28-2017 at 07:37 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

This is just a quick update.

I made a fountain head for the cliff wall where the people pierced a hole in the hard rock of the cliffs, they then went on to dig a gently sloping tunnel to the nearest moving water source.
    I am planning on adding an entrance to the underground reservoir where this water flow into.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkwood_Fountain_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	98872

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

That's certainly an interesting concept. I take it there are no rivers that run through the city from which water can be extracted, without having to go to those kind of lengths?

Maybe getting yourself a piece of isometric graph paper might help with the rooftops. I've got a very simple one here, but you can download isometric graph paper from customgraph.com, and open it in GIMP (GIMP can sometimes open PDF files, I've discovered). I have a wonderful piece from customgraph, but of course I can't upload it for you here, because that would be redistribution without permission. Its really very easy to get the webpage to give you exactly what you want

That's certainly an interesting concept. I take it there are no rivers that run through the city from which water can be extracted, without having to go to those kind of lengths?

Maybe getting yourself a piece of isometric graph paper might help with the rooftops. I've got a very simple one here, but you can download isometric graph paper from customgraph.com, and open it in GIMP (GIMP can sometimes open PDF files, I've discovered). I have a wonderful piece from customgraph, but of course I can't upload it for you here, because that would be redistribution without permission. Its really very easy to get the webpage to give you exactly what you want
    Yeah, I thought about having a river, but decided against it. Not all cities are built directly next to a river. And I figured, though the river is relatively close by, to the right, there was too much uneven terrain for them build that close to it.
    Now, Machu Pichu and quite a few other ancient cities used the technique I described, though some going to far greater lengths in it than others, I feel safe to use the same system in my own map.

Regarding the ISO graph. It is the wrong angle sadly. And I'm drawing it with pencil and paper.

Name:	DW_Gambrel Roof1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	458.6 KB 
ID:	98877
    EDIT: Hmm, I tried something. I used your grid and altered it to the right angle with the perspective tool in GIMP, and then I printed it. So, I'll let you know how that pans out.

---
    This is just me changing the hue of the buildings, to see if it fits better into the map.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Darkwood_Building_Wall color.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	98876
    Last edited by XCali; 08-28-2017 at 09:45 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

The new house colouring is working well. Maybe some of them are other than whitewashed? You could use a very, very subtle set of pastel shades that are almost but not quite white to 'repaint' the fill between the beams on some of them perhaps?

Admittedly, my simple iso graph paper may not be 100% correct, but the graph paper from that site should be spot on.

iso perspective only has one angle of view, as is explained on the Wiki page here.

The most simple explanation given on that page is this:

"The term "isometric" comes from the Greek for "equal measure", reflecting that the scale along each axis of the projection is the same (unlike some other forms of graphical projection)."

Put even more simply - its the angle of view where the foreshortening of all three axes is exactly the same, so that a cube viewed in iso perspective has a perfect regular hexagon for an outline, like this one.

Having said all of that, however, your perspective doesn't seem to be too far out. You could probably get away with calling it isometric if its too difficult to bend your existing buildings to fit

It's coming along very nicely, Xcali .

The new house colouring is working well. Maybe some of them are other than whitewashed? You could use a very, very subtle set of pastel shades that are almost but not quite white to 'repaint' the fill between the beams on some of them perhaps?

Admittedly, my simple iso graph paper may not be 100% correct, but the graph paper from that site should be spot on.

iso perspective only has one angle of view, as is explained on the Wiki page here.

The most simple explanation given on that page is this:

"The term "isometric" comes from the Greek for "equal measure", reflecting that the scale along each axis of the projection is the same (unlike some other forms of graphical projection)."

Put even more simply - its the angle of view where the foreshortening of all three axes is exactly the same, so that a cube viewed in iso perspective has a perfect regular hexagon for an outline, like this one.

Having said all of that, however, your perspective doesn't seem to be too far out. You could probably get away with calling it isometric if its too difficult to bend your existing buildings to fit
    Hehe, well it is news to me. But, at least it is close enough.
    (When I start with my coloring phase I'll think of trying your tip with the colors )

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's coming along very nicely, Xcali .
    Thank you.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Wip Next update!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I was quiet the last few days.

Anyway, here is my latest update.

I figured out an L-shaped building and it fitted in quite nicely. So, the variety is getting there. Also, I started with more city blocks and tried a bit different coloring for the buildings. That one is still hanging on the undecided, but GIMP kind of messed with me by crashing a lot, and I accidently saved after changing the color. So, now this is the base color that I need to work with. Ah well.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Darkwood_More_CityBlocks_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	99000

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast